Noob questions/ concerns...

faust0230

Reaction score
OK so i am kinda new to all of this root business and i had a couple of questions/concerns. My DB is currently rooted using Pete's tools. I have bionic boostrap and titanium backup. I have flashed a few roms (currently flashed to [P]urity Ic3) and am loving the results. The first thing i did after rooting was to make a nandroid and i make a nandroid after flashing any rom (i use this method to go between different roms - not sure if this is most effective way but works for me). I am aware of the forever root method and cheesecake app but have opted out of using these because i want to stay on OTA path and not risk me messing that up.

-regarding bloatware: i am under the impression that as long as i have all bloatware installed and am unrooted that i will have no problems with an OTA. Am i safe deleting (staying within confines of safe list of these apps) bloatware as long as i can revert to a nandroid that has it all installed? Do i have to be unrooted to accept an OTA? Am i given a choice to postpone OTA so i can make changes as needed? If deleting is not a good option then is freezing effective and how can i remove icons from app drawer if they are frozen?

-I was going through my 'about phone' and it says my system version is now 5.7.893. I did not use cheescake so i dont know how this happened. I wanted to stay 886 to be sure id be on ota path and i know that if you use that app there are some changes that cannot be reverted. Is this just how the rom displays it or am i upgraded?

-lastly, once i accept an ota and im updated ar my nandroids useless because they were built off of 886? Titanium backups? Will i have to wait for a new rooting method after OTA? Will i have to wait to flash roms again after developers update their builds to run over new version?

I know this all probably elementary and in here somewhere but just hoping for some clarity. Thanks to anyone who wants to school me.:hail:

ripper2860

Reaction score
The Shift3r ROM is based on the 5.7.893 OTA system. You are not really "off" the OTA path and it's not really a big deal as the RADIO and KERNEL files are still .886 w/ Shift3r. You can flash the "system" area back and forth as needed and you will need to flash back to the VZ stock .886 "system" in order to receive the VZ OTA. You can do that via the same tool you used to Forever Root. Before accepting the OTA update, I would make sure you are on .886 , ROOTED and FOREVER ROOTED. You may not be able to ROOT after the update as MOTO/VZ may put in measures into the OTA that prevent rooting via current measures. If you lose ROOT and cannot regain it (until it is hacked via a different method), then you can forget nandroids and Titanium backups.

My suggestion, since the OTA is supposed to be out by end of Nov ...

*Backup apps via Titanium
*Flash back to stock .886 "bloated"
*ROOT
*Forever ROOT
*Wait til the OTA and accept
*Flash back to the desired ROM (your RADIO and KERNEL will still be the latest as delivered by the VZ OTA).
*Restore via TBU
*Freeze desired BLOATWARE

Last edited:
OP
faust0230

faust0230

Reaction score
Thank you for input...I figured most of that . If it happens that update takes us somewhere that is not 893 (like display models in store have 991 or something like that) will we be able to flash roms designed for 893 or do we wait for dev updates to roms? Once again ty for input.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

ripper2860

Reaction score
That's the $299 dollar question. If the OTA looks for a specific version number (.886 System/.886Kernel/.886 Radio) then one is screwed. If it just looks for any lower revision number, then all is good. Which validation method iwill be used remains to be seen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

Last edited: