Anyone having random Crashes?

BittenHand19

Reaction score
Okay ever since I got the ICS update over the summer my Razr Maxx will crash and restart when I try to access something from the lock screen. It seems to happen when I have updates from the market. I had thought that it was the Amazon App Store but it is not cause I deleted it and all the apps I had from there and it still happens. I just would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.

aarong03

Reaction score
Okay ever since I got the ICS update over the summer my Razr Maxx will crash and restart when I try to access something from the lock screen. It seems to happen when I have updates from the market. I had thought that it was the Amazon App Store but it is not cause I deleted it and all the apps I had from there and it still happens. I just would like to know if anyone else is having this problem.
Did you do a Factory Data Reset after the update? If not, you need to do it. It will clear up any issues that the ICS update started. Also, you may want to reinstall the amazon app. If you delete the preloaded apps, it may impact the overall function of the phone ie random crashes. You can just disable them instead with ICS. I would first start with the FDR and see how it works after that.

OP
B

BittenHand19

Reaction score
I should mention that it was the App Store not the Amazon apps that came with the phone which I actually use quite a bit. Also yes I did a fdr after the update and in fact had an issue with headphone jack two times in a row making this the third rzar I've had.

I disabled a few apps and such that I know I won't use and I'm not rooted, however I'm thinking I might have to now. I did not do a fdr on this phone which is the most recent one from Verizon. I might try it but as a last resort cause I really am sick of restarting this thing.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
There's any number of things that can cause a phone to crash. A common cause is two or more apps that don't "play nice together" or an app that does not run well on your OS/system version. Task managers used to be a big cause for phones crashing among causing other issues. Before you do a factory reset try booting your phone into Safe Mode. Safe Mode allows only the necessary apps/function to load and run. No third party apps will be allowed to start or run. See if you phone stops crashing. If it stops crashing then one (or maybe a couple) of the apps you've downloaded is causing the problem. You can then do a factory reset and load your apps back a couple at a time, monitor the phone, and keep adding until it crashes. The last app or two that you installed may very well be the culprit. But, do a factory reset at any rate no matter what you decide to do. Good luck.

Squeak87

Reaction score
I've had 2 crashes, one about a month ago and one last night. I ended a phone call last night and my phone froze then shutdown and proceeded to reboot itself. Didn't seem to hurt anything, just an annoyance.

(Droid Razr Maxx <<ICS .215>>)

OP
B

BittenHand19

Reaction score
jpcalhoun said:
There's any number of things that can cause a phone to crash. A common cause is two or more apps that don't "play nice together" or an app that does not run well on your OS/system version. Task managers used to be a big cause for phones crashing among causing other issues. Before you do a factory reset try booting your phone into Safe Mode. Safe Mode allows only the necessary apps/function to load and run. No third party apps will be allowed to start or run. See if you phone stops crashing. If it stops crashing then one (or maybe a couple) of the apps you've downloaded is causing the problem. You can then do a factory reset and load your apps back a couple at a time, monitor the phone, and keep adding until it crashes. The last app or two that you installed may very well be the culprit. But, do a factory reset at any rate no matter what you decide to do. Good luck.

I think I'll give that a try. If anything I think I'm going to root anyway because of the back up options and Nova launchers extra root features. Also I did notice I didn't clear all the apps I had downloaded from the Amazon App Store so that could be it too. In any case I hope I can clear this up cause I really am getting sick of the iPhone users around me saying "Just get an iPhone. Driods suck."

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Given that you recently got this phone, and am assuming that ics was either preloaded or installed immediately after getting the phone, an fdr may not be the fix... it should have started with a clean ICS update. If by chance you were running GB and installed apps while on GB before updating to ICS, then definitely do an fdr.

If you do have a clean install of ICS then I think jpcalhoun's idea is the most likely culprit...there is an app that is not playing nicely. You could start with getting rid of any task managers. Then start with any older, more outdated apps... any apps that have not had any updates within the last 6 months are apps that the developers are not maintaining or doing any bug fixes on. Get rid of those, one by one. If you still have crashed/force closes after you delete one, go ahead and reinstall it and move to the next likely misbehaving app.

In summary, do an fdr if you did not start with a clean ICS install. If you did, then uninstall any possible problem apps, one by one.

Likwid_E

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
S4
Ever since ICS I get a notification error daily- "Unfortunately YouTube has stopped working"... when I'm not even using it. It just pops up.

OP
B

BittenHand19

Reaction score
Likwid_E said:
Ever since ICS I get a notification error daily- "Unfortunately YouTube has stopped working"... when I'm not even using it. It just pops up.

I haven't gotten that in awhile make sure YouTube is completely up to date.

As for my situation it seems like it might have been that last app from the Amazon App Store. I have gotten Wolfram Alpha as a free app of the day through it a while back. Since I got rid of the app store the crashes seem to happen when the play store notifies me of updates. I think maybe the play store was trying to look at the Amazon downloads and not knowing what to do. I had angry birds through Amazon and the play store would always say there was an update for it but it didn't come from that app store. So I don't think the Amazon App Store has figured out all their kinks.

I don't use any task managers as they're not needed on android. If I want to kill a task for some weird reason I'll go into the running apps menu and take care of it there or use long press on home. This particular model came from Verizon with ICS on it when I got the first initial Razr before the headphone jack problems I was waiting a whole month for ICS to come to the phone. I would hope that Verizon would send back a phone with a clean install of ICS for a warranty exchange.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes, it should have been a clean install of ICS. I don't have any problems with my Amazon app store (AAS) or the apps I have installed via Amazon. But it could be one specific app installed through AAS that is causing the problem.

I would proceed with the above suggestions...either doing an fdr or going through each app, one by one.

OP
B

BittenHand19

Reaction score
Well I got rid of all of them and so far so good. I replaced the apps I did use all the time from the store and it hasn't happened again. I know someone mentioned to try to get rid of apps that were old or haven't been upgraded for a while and I noticed that some of those apps were not getting updates from the Amazon App Store the same time as Google Play. Time will tell though if this was really the problem or not.