Anyone have any tips on how to make a better scan?

dfman

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S4
Anyone have any tips on how to make a better scan when using scanner app?

For example how to make a paper flatter (e.g. newspaper), or scan a book page flatter so the book will not curve inwards sometimes showing a dark shadow or blur near the middle of the book

I am also wondering if there is some sort of physical tool to do a better scan. Thanks

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Even a dedicate, flatbed, desktop scanner will have some issue scanning a book, though they usually help flatten out crinkled papers better.

You're never going to get a 100% perfect image of something that you scanned, but a phone is probably the last tool I would recommend for getting as close as you can.

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
With the Note 4 and Note Edge you can manipulate photos of text to take out odd angles and curves.

I've never had much luck scanning with a phone though. Well, I should say that I haven't come across the quality I want to achieve.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Even a dedicate, flatbed, desktop scanner will have some issue scanning a book, though they usually help flatten out crinkled papers better.

You're never going to get a 100% perfect image of something that you scanned, but a phone is probably the last tool I would recommend for getting as close as you can.
I've found that taking scans from farther away and simply cropping or zooming in afterwards yields better images. It's about lens perspective. From father away it "sees" the document flatter so it images flatter. Also lighting is less of a problem since you're not in your own shadow. Some scanning software actually auto shapes and crops so even out of square images result in square final images.