Anyone else having these issues?

Discussion in 'Samsung Galaxy Nexus' started by Roc_Droid, Dec 18, 2011.

1. Roc_Droid

Roc_Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not sure if I have a bad one or what but I'm having two huge issues that I haven't seen posted yet. The accelerometer on my GN is awful. When I turn from one orientation to the next, it literally takes minutes for it to adjust. If I tap on the screen and try to use it in the wrong orientation, it registers what I would have tapped if the screen was in the correct orientation.

The second issue is the keyboard. I was typing some rather long emails this morning and the keyboard almost prompted me to throw my phone out of the window. The typing would freeze with some keyboard letters hanging on the screen. Then the words would stutter across the screen and appear to be back to normal but, as soon as I start typing, the same thing would happen again. An email that might take me two minutes to type is taking me ten minutes. :mad:

Anyone else?

2. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +321
    Current Phone Model:
    Nexus 6, 7, & 9
    Yep, the screen orientation deal is a known issue. For a keyboard I use SwiftKey and it is awesome. I didn't have any issues with the stock keyboard however.

3. pool_shark

pool_shark Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    The accelerometer problem isn't happening on mine, I'm using go launcher though, not sure about stock. You could have a bad phone or an app conflict. Maybe even a process running wild taking too much CPU.

My typing only stutters when typing on certain forums.

4. Roc_Droid

Roc_Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I really don't want to use another launcher or another keyboard just yet. I did reboot the phone to see if that would help but there was no change. I can easily hang around and wait for an update to fix the accelerometer but this keyboard issue is threatening to drive me insane. I do a LOT of typing on my phone and was looking forward to the improved GN keyboard that I'd heard about.

5. 1ceFiend

1ceFiend Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I've had the same issues. I switched to SwiftKey and love it. But I thought that the screen rotating wasn't a problem., but that they wanted it that way? Because I don't mind it. I turned off rotating on my OG because it was always spinning when I didn't want it to. The delay keeps that from happening.

The stock keyboard was driving me crazy too.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using DroidForums

6. pool_shark

pool_shark Active Member

Ratings:
    +7
    I started using alternate launchers just because the home screen doesn't turn to landscape without one. Then I found out I could launch 30 apps from the dock at the bottom, meaning no app icons all over my screens.

7. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Haven't had the keyboard issue. The accelerometer definitely shouldn't take a minute to turn, mine turns after maybe 2 seconds.

8. Roc_Droid

Roc_Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I guess I have to reconsider and look into something like Swiftkey. I haven't yet tried to the voice to text feature so I may try that as well. I just could have sworn I read somewhere that Google had purchased this really great keyboard for ICS so I never expected to have any problems with it. I didn't have any at all with my OG.

My OG was a little inconsistent with the rotating but I also have a Droid X2 for my job and I expected the GN to be at least as good as that. This thing is ridiculous!

9. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Google did use the keyboard they bought. You said the keys were freezing when you hit them? What if you keep typing, does it continue typing the words out? Just curious, I work on some keyboard software for Android.

10. CarbonLegend

CarbonLegend New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I am also having the accelerometer issue and keyboard issue. Use to my X2 which typed flawlessly, and auto rotate too about a second. ive had up to 5-10 second delays with the rotate

11. Roc_Droid

Roc_Droid Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I wish my auto rotate delay was only a few seconds! With my OG, when it would get stuck on portrait when I had it in landscape, all I had to do was tilt it away from me and back up and it would snap in place. I have had no such luck with my GN.

@LiderC, the keys still respond when I type, I just can't see them right away. I don't know if that makes sense but say I would type the word "something". I hit all of the keys and the 's' and maybe the 'o' would show on the screen and the blue letter 'o' from the keyboard will be frozen on the screen. I sit and wait and then the whole word will show on the screen but the letter 'i' might still be hanging on the screen until I start typing again, when it would do the same thing all over again.

12. Liderc

Liderc Silver Member

Ratings:
    +45
    Thanks for the reply, I'll check it out and see if I can get my keyboard to do the same thing.

If your auto rotate does take that long and the keyboard doesn't straighten out after we get the 4.0.3 update I'd take it back for a replacement. My rotate takes 1.5-2 seconds so yours is definitely not the norm.

I'm assuming you aren't using a launcher or anything correct?

Search tags for this page
accelerometer not working galaxy nexus
galaxy nexus accelerometer not working

galaxy nexus accelerometer problem