Any way to turn off the Google bar on the home screen?

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
To remove (disable the google [gray bar] from the home screen you have to disable google voice) none if your google voice properties will work, ( no voice in the keyboard etc.) Unless you use a 3rd party launcher like nova etc.

We must...We must...increase our boost
Also.. Removing Google search will remove the bar as well.. Idk if that interferes with voice searches or not.. But probably removes the "ok Google now" ability..

WisJim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
My Turbo just did the Advanced Calling Update 1.0 last night and this morning I now have a "settings" icon on the screen with the "wallpapers" and "widgets" icons on the bottom. Touching "settings" gives me the option to turn "Google search" "ON" or "OFF". I didn't have that "settings" icon there before, and the icon in the other place on the main screen didn't have the option to turn "OFF" the "google search".

Then I added the blue square "G" to my app icons and I can get to Google easily with out having that bar in front of me all the time.

Now if I can just figure out how to get the "Command Center" widget to stay on the first screen without disappearing at apparent random intervals--I must touch it wrong without noticing or something. Any way to lock it in place??

JDH

Reaction score
I have had the disappearing command center twice. I have to move all the icons to the right two pages one at a time. You also have to build the two right had pages at the same time or it will not wok. Once you have all icons back where the started and a blank home page , add the command widget back
I haven't tried to remove the google searck bar from home page but I am going to try your method.

JDH

Reaction score
Wow, easy peasy, noote google search bar.

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Once you disable/turn off the search bar ( by long pressing a blank space on a home screen, then pressing "setting" a window will allow you to "turn Off" the search bar and if you decide you want it back turn it back on for all screens ) you can then go into Widgets and select the search bar there and be able to put it on any screen you wish without having it on all.

Last edited:

WisJim

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
Once you disable/turn off the search bar ( by long pressing a blank space on a home screen, then pressing "setting" a window will allow you to "turn Off" the search bar and if you decide you want it back turn it back on for all screens ) you can then go into Widgets and select the search bar there and be able to put it on any screen you wish without having it on all.

My point was that the "setting" icon didn't appear until after the recent update. Until the update the long press on a blank space only brought up the "wallpapers" and "widgets" icons.