Any way to turn off the Google bar on the home screen?

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hmmm, I wonder if I changed a setting that won't allow me to move it...?
Good point....are you stock or using a third party launcher? I know third party launchers like Apex, Nova etc allow you to "lock" your homescreen to keep from accidentally moving (or removing) app icons, widgets, etc. I wonder if you have a setting on your Moto device that provides this feature?

S5 tap'n

OP
P

Pologuy

Reaction score
Good point....are you stock or using a third party launcher? I know third party launchers like Apex, Nova etc allow you to "lock" your homescreen to keep from accidentally moving (or removing) app icons, widgets, etc. I wonder if you have a setting on your Moto device that provides this feature?

S5 tap'n

Stock

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Not sure if you guys are or aren't on the same page, ALL phones are different.

The Turbo, you have to download a different Launcher (like I said) to get rid of the Google bar from your Home page. Can't drag it or remove it - I suppose a post-it note would work for a little while.
I "assumed" you were referring to the Turbo seeing as this is the Turbo Forum......

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Yeah, I understand they are different which was why I mentioned my experience from a Samsung perspective. That said, many "Android OS" features work the same regardless of TouchWiz, Sense, Blur etc. I was just throwing out suggestions.

S5 tap'n

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Sorry, I use nova.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
P

Pologuy

Reaction score
Well the funny thing is...

When I first got the Turbo - I thought it would let me move the Google bar around when I long touched it...

But now it will not...

I could be wrong though about it letting me to before....

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Sorry, I use nova.

If you're using Nova, this shouldn't be a problem. There should be a setting somewhere in your Nova settings to toggle on/off the option to lock the app icons & widgets on your homescreens. Once you unlock that option, you should be able to remove it. I haven't used Nova in awhile so I don't recall exactly where it is, but hopefully someone who's currently using it can chime in. Good luck!

S5 tap'n

OP
P

Pologuy

Reaction score
OK, go into settings, apps, then all, scroll down to "Google search" and disable it. This is on the turbo. If you don't want to disable it, just do a long press on it and remove it from your home screen. That is actually what I did, then I went into my other screens and moved the "g" search icon to the main screen. It replaces the bar, but gives you the "g" if you want to search.

OK, I did that and it disables it - it gets rid of the word Google and the microphone icon - but it still leaves the banner... with nothing in it the banner is just blank now.

I can now long press it and it will bring up 2 icons that say "Wallpapers" and "Widgets"....

How do I get rid of the blank banner now?

Thanks!

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
I'm on nova, not stock. Maybe that's why as the above poster said. Can you uninstall it, then reinstall? (the launcher)

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Have you searched your Nova settings? It should be located in your Display settings somewhere (within Nova settings, not system settings and should be labeled "lock screen", "lock display", "lock apps" or something similar.
But yes, you can delete Nova and redownload it. To do this you'll want to open up your system settings, applications, scroll down to Nova. Clear cache, clear data, force stop, then uninstall. Redownload it , make it your default launcher and try again.

S5 tap'n

gimpy1

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Motorola Droid Turbo
Thx. Working great.

Reactions: cr6

obxsalvo

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo
I'm stock on my Turbo and the Google Bar is on every screen and it can not be removed unless you disable Google Search in the APP setting. it's on the screen like the 5 launch widgets and the dots that tell ya which screen your on and how many screens you have. Before I go and disable Google Search and Now I think I'm going to wait and see what 5.0 brings to the Turbo.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm stock on my Turbo and the Google Bar is on every screen and it can not be removed unless you disable Google Search in the APP setting. it's on the screen like the 5 launch widgets and the dots that tell ya which screen your on and how many screens you have. Before I go and disable Google Search and Now I think I'm going to wait and see what 5.0 brings to the Turbo.
Wow. Not being able to remove Google bloatware from the home screen would be enough alone for me to switch launchers . I did it years ago on an HTC device for its lack of customizing ability and haven't looked back.
My hat is off to you for your tolerance.

Support Our Troops !!!
<><
Beast Mode 4

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
To remove (disable the google [gray bar] from the home screen you have to disable google voice) none if your google voice properties will work, ( no voice in the keyboard etc.) Unless you use a 3rd party launcher like nova etc.

We must...We must...increase our boost