Any virtual machine for android phones?

rcjames

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm wundering is there a virtual machine app for phones to run another os? That be cool if there is.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm wundering is there a virtual machine app for phones to run another os? That be cool if there is.

Strongly doubt it. A VM would just take up too much space.

Depend a full instalation of xp is a wee bit over of 1gb, slip down linux eh less then 60mb and so on. 60mb is the dsl linux. A ubuntu operating system might be less then 2gb full insallation. Infact the dsl linux would work on a 486 computer with 33 or 25 mhz cpu. LOL

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
The closest thing i've seen is "aDOSbox" which runs MS-DOS programs (and i've run Windows 3.11 on it) - the experience, for the most part, is painful (at best).

Even if someone were to port something like VMWare or VirtualBox over to Android, it would likely be too slow to be of much use, at least running a modern OS. And since ARM chipsets would require binary translation, the overhead would be much too high. In the end, lack of system RAM and processing power would likely be a showstopper.

I know that in my experience, an XP VM on an Intel Atom netbook borders on unuseable. I can't imagine it being any better on a modern mobile chipset.

OP
R

rcjames

Reaction score
The closest thing i've seen is "aDOSbox" which runs MS-DOS programs (and i've run Windows 3.11 on it) - the experience, for the most part, is painful (at best).

Even if someone were to port something like VMWare or VirtualBox over to Android, it would likely be too slow to be of much use, at least running a modern OS. And since ARM chipsets would require binary translation, the overhead would be much too high. In the end, lack of system RAM and processing power would likely be a showstopper.

I know that in my experience, an XP VM on an Intel Atom netbook borders on unuseable. I can't imagine it being any better on a modern mobile chipset.

True, the latiest os eat so much hd but now hd are growing and pc is becoming powerful. Heh adosbox hmmm I still use a dos emulator on my pc to play wolf 3d hahaha. I just wanna mess around with. But i like linux and
would like to test and such. Modern linux doesn't run to good on older system but the slim one can run on very old pc. But I love messing with my phone. Atom is very slow compare to pent 4 i bet. You're probably better off installing linux on it heh. Man those new phones that is going to come out with dual core jesus christ phones even latiest droid x are small mobile computer. Awesome.