Adding machine app?

lokiawse654

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good adding machine app for the Droid? I realize there is the calculator app built in and multiple other scientific calc's out there. I'm looking for the basic functions of an adding machine.

For instance, I'm a contractor and need the ability to do the following w/o constantly re-entering the the value of the previous equation.

I always need to take the cost of the product, add tax and then add labor. I hate having to do "100 * .08" and then get the answer "8", write it down, and then have to add "100 + 8" and so on and so forth to get my total bill.

With my adding machine in my office, I can do the following keystrokes and get what I need:
"100 * .08 +"
This will take "100" and multiply it by ".08" and then add (+) it to the original value giving me a total of 108. Any ideas? TIA

rjax

Reaction score
This is totally overkill, but it should work while costing you only one extra (easy) keystroke. Download the Droid48 calculator app -- it uses Reverse Polish Notation (RPN for short).

In your example above, here's what I would do.
1) Type 100 on the calculator number pad,
2) Hit the calculator's enter button twice (the second tap is the extra, easy, keystroke)
3) Type .08 (no need to press enter, though you can if you want)
4) Hit the multiplication X button
5) Hit the + button
6) Your answer is displayed toward the top of the screen in the 1. spot in the "stack"

(RPN takes the bottom two numbers on the "stack" and does whatever operation you press, which is why you have to hit X and + last.)

EDIT: even better, if you tap on the area of the calculator image at the top that displays results, you can get a much bigger number pad that allows to do basic operations like these. Also note, the way to erase a result from the screen is to hit "drop"

Last edited:
OP
L

lokiawse654

Reaction score
Thanks for the last tip, that's the one that sold me on the app.

Technoman

Reaction score
Does anyone know of a good adding machine app for the Droid? I realize there is the calculator app built in and multiple other scientific calc's out there. I'm looking for the basic functions of an adding machine.

For instance, I'm a contractor and need the ability to do the following w/o constantly re-entering the the value of the previous equation.

I always need to take the cost of the product, add tax and then add labor. I hate having to do "100 * .08" and then get the answer "8", write it down, and then have to add "100 + 8" and so on and so forth to get my total bill.

With my adding machine in my office, I can do the following keystrokes and get what I need:
"100 * .08 +"
This will take "100" and multiply it by ".08" and then add (+) it to the original value giving me a total of 108. Any ideas? TIA

Why not get one of the Labor billing APPS in the Market, and see if they have better options for just hour tracking and automatic summaries.