any problem charging S4 with Motorola charger?

bbp

Reaction score
Just bought wife an S4 to replace her broken maxx. Salesmen said not to use Motorola charger it can damage the phone.

Would be nice to keep using Motorola chargers since we have a bunch already.

Thanks

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
It will most likely charge the phone but the rep was right. Using other cables can potentially damage the phone or cause other issues.

OP
B

bbp

Reaction score
He said it's fine to use generic chargers but not the Motorola. Sounded odd to me.

Thanks for your reply

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Won't necessarily harm the battery, however check the rating on the charger.

My D3 charger is 1000mA, and the Note2 is 2000mA. The Moto charger does nothing, and if you are using the phone, the battery will continue to deplete.

leeshor

Gold Member
Reaction score
The S4 charger outputs 2.0 AMPS so if you used a charger with less punch, and the correct cable it would charge slower for sure but it should charge. You should be careful about the cable, there have been reports that using a different cable that looked the same didn't work and that's where you may run into a damage issue.

OP
B

bbp

Reaction score
Just checked one of my maxx chargers and it's 850 ma. Haven't looked at the s4 yet can't check until morning.

Derekweb

Reaction score
My moto charger has been working fine on my S4, Keep it in the office a a spare.

jamjr74

Reaction score
Sounds like an associate trying to sell u another charger.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2

jseah

Reaction score
USB output as far as the USB port on a computer is standardized....at 0.5 amps. So trying to recharge a phone using just the USB port on your computer is painstakingly slow. My older Motorola chargers output 0.85 amps. My older HTC chargers (for the Rezound, etc.) outputs 1 amp.

cbrmike

Reaction score
I'm not sure on the specs of the chargers but my Bionic charger charged my S4 just as fast as the S4 charger does without any issue and my extras for cars work fast as heck also , sounds like the sales rep was trying to up sell you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Some are 5.1a output and some 5.0amps other than that idk

I think you mean 5.1V versus 5.0V. Generally speaking, computer power supplies and USB phone chargers are rated at 5.1 Volts, +/- 10%, so .1V is well within tolerances and wouldn't have any negative impact on the phone. Most newer phone chargers are rated in the range of between 750 mAh (milliAmp/hour) and 1 Ah, where most tablet chargers are closer to or at 2 Ah. I hear that the S4 charger may be rated at 2 Ah, and reports are that it charges very quickly which would make sense given the faster charge rate.