Any App to disable touchscreen??

jodyberry

Reaction score
It never fails that every time I start a slideshow or video and hand it to someone to view, they inevitably touch the screen and it stops or goes to another screen, etc.

Is there an app to disable the touch-screen until I decide to enable it (like with a hard key - camera or volume)?

My old iPod had this feature but it was a dedicated switch on the exterior of the unit.

Thanks all...

spazma7ik

Reaction score
I think you're moreso looking for a "hold" or screen lock app. Sorry not sure though.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There's apps to enable the screen to stay awake, so that it won't 'black' out causing your friends to have to touch. Other than that I don't believe there's anything to disable the touch screen input itself.
Keep Screen is the app I use to keep the screen awake. Others use Screebl.

Anonymouse

Reaction score
He's not asking about keeping the screen awake though, he's asking for an app to keep it from responding to touch.

venk25

Reaction score
+1 on OPs request. My two year old touches softkeys or screen and gets upset that his youtube video stopped!

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
My niece does the same when I show her a sesame street youtube vid. Would be nice if there was an app to prevent this from happening.

hatcyl

Reaction score
There is app on the market "Screen Tools"

Hey guys, there is an App on the Market called "Screen Tools" which has this function.

It allows you to use your camera button to "disable" the touchscreen.

This works when viewing youtube videos and when in the gallery as well as in other apps. Some apps may "stop" while the lockscreen is disabled, but youtube videos keep on playing (tested on DROID 2.2)

The app also has functionalities to disable the lockscreen.

I actually developed the app, and it's 99c in the app store :), sorry this might sound like Spam.

Thanks!

Droid DOES!!

What iDoesn't
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
GREAT idea hatcyl!!!!

Hey guys, there is an App on the Market called "Screen Tools" which has this function.

This works when viewing youtube videos and when in the gallery as well as in other apps. Some apps may "stop" while the lockscreen is disabled, but youtube videos keep on playing (tested on DROID 2.2)

I actually developed the app, and it's 99c in the app store :), sorry this might sound like Spam.

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

Reaction score
GREAT idea hatcyl!!!!

Thanks!

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums app (free in market)

wow that's a great idea!

gioakjoe

Reaction score
Hey casio commando is water proof and I wana take pictures under water but the water makes the screen go crazy. Is I need to disable the touch screen while I use my camera button to take pictures and video

dinc44

Reaction score
Anything other than Screen Tools?

My Moto DROID's touch screen started going crazy a couple of months ago, and it's gotten progressively worse.

I can't swipe to answer a call because the bottom half, middle third is "dead" in terms of touch. A few other areas come and go, but this one is constant. I could deal with that if it weren't for the crazy phantom touches. My demon-possessed phone is doing all sorts of damage to itself if I'm not aware. Turning the screen off stops it, but it sometimes turns itself back on

The best I get, and this isn't even happening now, is when the phantom touches aren't happening. I have my phone rooted, and the lock screen set so that the menu button undoes it. I use the physical menu key for that, and I have Power Strip set up so that it comes up when I use the physical search key. Within Power Strip, you can choose to go to your main home screen. But I am desperate for a way to tie the BACK key function to one of the physical keys.

If I could disable the touch functionality of the screen, then the phone would be usable in a lot of ways. But be it through software or hardware, I cannot find an answer.

absolutezero1983

Reaction score
@dinc 44

Was facing a similar problem when the menu keys on my milestone started dying & the touchscreen behaving erratically.

The solution is to:
1. root your phone (this you already have done)
2. get button remapper & key number tracker apps (paid from the market, also available on the net for free if u search)
3. Map appropriate keys (found using key no tracker) on your keyboard to back, menu, home, search or other actions (using button remapper - app requires superuser access)
4. restart & you have the buttons on ur keyboard functioning as new keys

Hope it works for you!

What I'm looking for now is some way to disable touch input entirely, but can't find a solution to.

dinc44

Reaction score
Was facing a similar problem when the menu keys on my milestone started dying & the touchscreen behaving erratically.

The solution is to:
1. root your phone (this you already have done)
2. get button remapper & key number tracker apps (paid from the market, also available on the net for free if u search)
3. Map appropriate keys (found using key no tracker) on your keyboard to back, menu, home, search or other actions (using button remapper - app requires superuser access)
4. restart & you have the buttons on ur keyboard functioning as new keys

Hope it works for you!

What I'm looking for now is some way to disable touch input entirely, but can't find a solution to.

Thank you for the awesome advice! But now we're in the same boat. The dang screen keeps going crazy and makes it un-usable. PLEASE let me know if you find a way to disable touch input entirely!

RWB214

Reaction score

Thanks!

Thanks for your contribution! I couldn't find the "Screen Tools", but I downloaded and installed "Screen Tools 2", which I assume you wrote. I'm having some trouble with it on my Samsung Galaxy S II. I'd like to be able to lock the touchscreen but still have the screen on so that my toddler can watch cartoons on netfllix. She is very interested in the phone but everytime she gets a hold of it she touches it in the wrong place and it does what it does. I can't get the screen tools app to work at all with the netflix app, and the youtube app pauses when ST2 is enabled. There is no camera button on the GS2 so I've been using the long-hold on the search button to try and activate it but I have not had any success. Could you please let me know what I'm doing wrong? Thanks!