Another scratch!

SallyC

Reaction score
But how cheap is it to replace the otter box shield? Or do we need to protect that as well? I like the way they clean off windshields in a NASCAR race. They just peel off a layer and away they go.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

I read on their site that they don't recommend you using another shield but contacting their support for replacements. I wonder if this is really necessary. I'd be interested in putting a Zagg or Steinheil on instead. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be interested in hearing them.

SallyC

Reaction score
Not all of us are rich sorry to say :\ i got school and bills

Agreed, that's the expensive approach. You're paying more than $99 unless you break it right away. Here's the rates and our phones according to the rep I talked with are considered "Other Devices." I checked in with Verizon two wks after I got my RAZR and was told it would be about $10/mo for insurance plus a $169 - $199 deductible. Forget that! I know if you got insurance right away it's less, and I don't have those figures, but I still don't think your total out of pocket is $99.

But then I realized, like all insurance, they're betting I will have a problem and I'm believing I won't. So they have to stack it up so they make money. My history with breakage would indicate they will make money on me as I rarely to never break stuff. And it has a year warranty on defects. So I just bought a case (the Otterbox Commuter adds very little bulk, btw, plus I find it easier to grip the RAZR) and decided to save my myself some money.

jlambeth1

Reaction score
Agreed, that's the expensive approach. You're paying more than $99 unless you break it right away. Here's the rates and our phones according to the rep I talked with are considered "Other Devices." I checked in with Verizon two wks after I got my RAZR and was told it would be about $10/mo for insurance plus a $169 - $199 deductible. Forget that! I know if you got insurance right away it's less, and I don't have those figures, but I still don't think your total out of pocket is $99.

But then I realized, like all insurance, they're betting I will have a problem and I'm believing I won't. So they have to stack it up so they make money. My history with breakage would indicate they will make money on me as I rarely to never break stuff. And it has a year warranty on defects. So I just bought a case (the Otterbox Commuter adds very little bulk, btw, plus I find it easier to grip the RAZR) and decided to save my myself some money.

Besides having the deductible, I always factor in the per month charges for insurance as well. In my history of cell phones, I have broken exactly one phone and I was lucky enough to have an upgrade available so that I didn't have to pay full price for a replacement. I figure if I can go 6 months or more with my phone before it breaks, I'm better off buying a used phone to replace a broken one than paying the per month fee and the deductible. $10 a month for 6 months plus $99 deductible is $160 just to get a replacement. I can go on swappa and get the same phone or one that will be good enough for me for the same or less than the above example of $160. At least that has been the case with any previous phone that I have used, not sure how much a Razr will go for on swappa in 6 months. Now please excuse me while I go knock on some wood since this post might have just jinxed me!