1. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Another scratch!

Discussion in 'Droid RAZR' started by Dweib, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Dweib

Dweib New Member

I'm in the habit of wiping the phone across my shirt when it gets smudgy. Gorilla glass or not. Apparently that's a no no. Especially when you work in a metals factory like I do. We have cast iron dust and minute little chips everywhere. Guess it's back in the otter box even though it detracts from the sleak appearance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums
  2. ex0rcist

ex0rcist New Member

I don't think it so much the gorilla glass I think it's more the anti glare coating they put on it.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk
  3. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Awww. I use the Otterbox Commuter with its screen protector because I'm afraid of dropping it or getting a scratch. Some people think it's overkill but since it's not time for an upgraded phone, if something happens to this one I'm up for spending some big $$$. Plus I've heard that Gorilla Glass is not useful at all against some materials like sand. Which is everywhere were I live - especially in pockets. Looks like metals are another weakness.

I hope it's not too noticeable once you have a screen protector back on it.
  4. tc1

tc1 New Member

Yeah metal shavings are the kryptonite to gorilla glass.

5. Htown315

Htown315 New Member

Gorilla glass is great but not indestructible and does still require a screen protector. Another common myth is that it is exclusive to certain devices. It was used in almost every moto phone since the OG as well as various other brands. Fun fact of the day!!
    1 person likes this.
  6. LoneWolfArcher

LoneWolfArcher Well-Known Member

He is right:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_devices_with_Gorilla_Glass

H
    owever, I've yet to find a screen as durable and smooth as the Razr's.
  7. BenLand150

BenLand150 Premium Member Premium Member

I believe now, they put an anti-glare coating on these newer phones that can get scratched easier. So I doubt its even the gorilla glass itself.

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums
  8. jdcaddell

jdcaddell New Member

Invisashield is where its at. I work in a steal mill melt shop and this is the only form of protection that I use.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  9. satarecah

satarecah New Member

Since you working in an industrial setting i suggest the otter box defender D: or atleast the zagg protection kitt!
  10. Dweib

Dweib New Member

I have both and have had from day one. But like I said both my otter box defender and the shield detract and defeat the design appearance of the razr which is one of the reasons I choose this phone. Using those items make our sleek phone look like just another piece of industrial equipment. So you might as well buy something less attractive and cheaper in the first place.

Regardless it's back in the o.d. now. But it feels and looks like a brick. Or a rectangular hockey puck.

11. satarecah

satarecah New Member

You have never had a otterbox on this phone then but what eve if you wanna ruin your device i can't stop you.
  12. Dweib

Dweib New Member

What?? Did you even read the posting? Your multitasking too much. Slow down. In my 1st post I said it was going back in the otter box. In my last I stated it was there. Read and comprehend before posting please.

13. satarecah

satarecah New Member

Well your just downing the otterbox like it makes your phone the size of your shoe its not that bad and for the added protection i think its a good deal :(
  14. jdcaddell

jdcaddell New Member

I'd rather just pay the $99 and get a new one through insurance then use that ugly case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk
  15. Dweib

Dweib New Member

Yes I agree. Using it now. But now it won't fit in either the HD or navigation docks. So what the f---! I'll be *****in' if I have to pop this phone in and out of the otter box all the time! And I paid good money for those docks. So it's one or the other.

And . . how cheap is it to replace the otter box shield? Or do we need to protect that as well? I like the way they clean off windshields in a NASCAR race. They just peel off a layer and away they go.

16. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

I read on their site that they don't recommend you using another shield but contacting their support for replacements. I wonder if this is really necessary. I'd be interested in putting a Zagg or Steinheil on instead. If anyone has any thoughts on that I'd be interested in hearing them.
  17. satarecah

satarecah New Member

Not all of us are rich sorry to say :\ i got school and bills
  18. SallyC

SallyC Well-Known Member

Agreed, that's the expensive approach. You're paying more than $99 unless you break it right away. Here's the rates and our phones according to the rep I talked with are considered "Other Devices." I checked in with Verizon two wks after I got my RAZR and was told it would be about $10/mo for insurance plus a $169 - $199 deductible. Forget that! I know if you got insurance right away it's less, and I don't have those figures, but I still don't think your total out of pocket is $99.

But then I realized, like all insurance, they're betting I will have a problem and I'm believing I won't. So they have to stack it up so they make money. My history with breakage would indicate they will make money on me as I rarely to never break stuff. And it has a year warranty on defects. So I just bought a case (the Otterbox Commuter adds very little bulk, btw, plus I find it easier to grip the RAZR) and decided to save my myself some money.
  19. jlambeth1

jlambeth1 New Member

Besides having the deductible, I always factor in the per month charges for insurance as well. In my history of cell phones, I have broken exactly one phone and I was lucky enough to have an upgrade available so that I didn't have to pay full price for a replacement. I figure if I can go 6 months or more with my phone before it breaks, I'm better off buying a used phone to replace a broken one than paying the per month fee and the deductible. $10 a month for 6 months plus $99 deductible is $160 just to get a replacement. I can go on swappa and get the same phone or one that will be good enough for me for the same or less than the above example of $160. At least that has been the case with any previous phone that I have used, not sure how much a Razr will go for on swappa in 6 months. Now please excuse me while I go knock on some wood since this post might have just jinxed me!