Another battery question - Do you leave GPS on?

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by bodean, Nov 13, 2009.

1. bodean

bodean New Member

I left my phone on all night, woke up to it dead. Do most of you leave GPS on?
    I'm trying to see the advantages of leaving GPS on if I don't use the phone for gps navigation. Right now, seems all it does for me is give me updated local weather. Other than that, not seeing a benefit. Most users on here turn GPS off?
  2. usermmg

usermmg New Member

I leave my gps off unless I'm using it.. gps will eat up battery due to the fact that its constantly getting a "fix" (locking) to satellites. Also turning on and off the GPS is pretty quick, so its really a non issue for me.
  3. M1dnite

M1dnite New Member

I use locale with GPS plug in to set times for the GPS to run. When I'm at work at my desk, no need for GPS, and when im sleeping i dont need GPS..
  4. jbjtkbw00

jbjtkbw00 New Member

I leave my GPS on all the time. That and bluetooth. My battery runs very well, but I'm also conscious to keep it topped off when I'm sitting at my desk, in the car, or at home on the computer. That way, when I'm away from home/office, I don't have to worry about losing battery power.

And once a week, I plan to drain it completely to keep it in good condition.
  5. mrpbjnance

mrpbjnance New Member

I leave GPS on. There are a lot of APPs that use it .
    I found that turning Bluetooth and WIFI off unless I use it helps and turning the brightness down on the screen and let the screen timeout after 30 secs (sometimes a pain) I get good battery life. There was an article on PC World I think that said we just have to get into different habits. I just charge my phone overnight.
    The battery life does seem to improve after you charge it up a few times.
  6. Droidforums

Droidforums New Member

gps on wastes battery big time!
  7. wsbsteven

wsbsteven New Member

From How to prolong lithium-based batteries

It basically says to not fully discharge it too much, do a full discharge every 30 recharges, keep it cool, partial discharges are best, and store the battery at 40% capacity if needed.

Edit: Oh and I forgot, I keep my gps off.
    Last edited: Nov 13, 2009
  8. lauriep

lauriep New Member

I leave mine on, but I also use the dock at night so phone is always charged.

How much battery does the GPS really use if one of the associated apps (Maps, Nav, weather) isn't actually being used? When the icon is in the status bar, isn't that when it is really using battery?
  9. otaku

otaku New Member

This is exactly what I thought. Everytime I open a GPS app it takes a while for it to get a new fix, etc...so it must not really be running in the background with a fix unless I am actively navigating, etc. right? Otherwise, it would be seamless and always have an almost immediate fix instead of taking a few seconds.
  10. ericwiz

ericwiz New Member

I leave the GPS on all the time as well as the WiFi radio. I use WiFi at home and at work so it just makes sense for me.

I charge the droid each nite in the docking station and I get a whole day without recharge.
  11. dezymond

dezymond Tech Support Mod Staff Member Premium Member

no need to leave the GPS on if you're not using it right?
  12. bhall238

bhall238 New Member

I turn my GPS, and Wi-Fi off every night. I open weather bug when I get up and by the time I finish brushing my teeth (sooner actually, I am sure) I know how to dress. The weather here changes a lot :).
  13. bluedust

bluedust New Member

I keep GPS off, but I have a switch on the desktop to turn it on easily.
  14. Vanilla Tarantino

Vanilla Tarantino New Member

I leave my GPS on specifically for Mobile Defense. If ever my phone is lost/stolen, I want to make sure I can get an exact lock on its location. Since GPS can't be remotely activated at this time, I leave it on. I still have enough battery to last me at least one day, and sometimes two full days if my usage is low.
  15. bluedust

bluedust New Member

I wish I could say the same but I can't stop messing with this damn thing. :icon_ banana:
  16. fishepa

fishepa New Member

I usually keep mine on, it seems to lock on to the satellites easier.
  17. Dragoro

Dragoro New Member

I leave mine all the time, doesnt hurt my battery at all.
  18. IIIunityIII

IIIunityIII New Member

I use the power widget on my home screen, which makes it easy to turn these functions on and off. I turn gps off when I'm not using it (my gps locks on fast when I turn it on), as well as wi-fi and bluetooth. The only function I leave on all the time is the sync.
  19. racklefratz

racklefratz New Member

What you're gonna' find is that replies to your question will be all over the ball park. Some people seem to believe that it makes no discernable difference in battery life if they leave EVERYTHING on 24/7. Either they don't have a clue, or they're being argumentative. Either way, they're wrong. These would be the people who are not home owners and who have no experience paying household electric utility bills. A homeowner who carelessly leaves all their electrical appliances on learns very quickly what the impact is when the utility bill shows up and reality sets in. The same principle applies to leaving everything powered up on a Droid.

It DOES matter what resources you keep powered up, and if you want to maximize the duration of your phone's battery, you'll use some common sense and exercise a few simple conservation measures.

The Droid has four separate radios: the phone transceiver, the bluetooth transceiver, the wifi transceiver, and the GPS receiver. There is no advantage to leaving any of those radios powered up if what you're doing with the phone doesn't require them to be turned on. If you wish to maximize your battery endurance, you'll use only the resources you need to get the job done.
  20. takeshi

takeshi New Member

Were you charging it? If not, why not?

Don't know about others but I do. If it's not actively being used it won't use much battery.

Do you turn your Droid off entirely when you're not using it? :p

Of course it does use more power if left on. For the GPS, unless you're actively using it the battery impact is negligible. Test it out for yourself rather than just making an assumption (talk about just being argumentative for the sake of it :icon_rolleyes:). I leave mine one all the time on several different devices and have plenty of battery power at the end of the day unless I've used a nav app, in which case the device is connected to a car charger.

In any case, I don't see the point in taking a poll. Turn it off if you want. Turn it off if it makes an impact in your daily use. Don't if you don't want to.

Use the battery info screen. It will tell you exactly what is using what percentage of the battery.
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2009
Search tags for this page
android keep gps on
android should gps be left on?
do you leave gps on android

how much battery does gps use

is it a good idea to leave the gps on on my phone
leave gps on
okay to leave gps on
on my phone should i keep gps on
should always keep gps on at all times
should i keep gps on