navigation question?

joeyx2

Reaction score
no GPS!!! anyone else having this problem? (i have unrooted phone)

I don't use navigation all that much but I've noticed that it has changed. Does the navigation no longer give u the turn by turn as ur driving and talk to u anymore or am I missing something

EDIT: I know realize that I can't get a fix on any satellites and are seeing no satellites. I used GPS monitor app to test and did some research on Google and it looks like a lot of people are having this problem. If you are having this problem to state your city, location, phone, provider. I was using raidzero everything but unrooted my phone back to 2.0.1 and 4 ota updates later I still have no gps.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
it should.

mine was working just the other day. check your volume?

also it has to be in "navigate" mode i think

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
Are you just not "hearing it" or is it not working at all I guess would be the best question to ask?

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
I will give it a go tonight again but it shows the route I click on the nav. Icon and it goes to the beginning of route and can veiw every turn I need to make. It just doesn't seem like it follows my point as I'm driving it just stays in one spot. I can see the nav. Icon where I'm at and it moves but just not following.
I will give it a go tonight like I said I don't really need and hardly use it but would like it to work when I do need it.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Also the gps icon in notificatio bar never stops blinking and when in nav. Searching for gps location. I turn it on in setting and it did this since the updated nav. It does say its a beta

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
maybe you touched the screen? If you touch the screen it stops "following". If you see the Nav icon in the lower right corner, tap that...and it should start "following" you. Just a guess...

Thunder_sl

Reaction score
Does the GPS icon in the Notification bar stay on? You may need to resync your GPS.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
I will try it tonight when I leave work and see what happens and come back to thead if it still don't work and see if we can figure this out

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Also the gps icon in notificatio bar never stops blinking and when in nav. Searching for gps location. I turn it on in setting and it did this since the updated nav. It does say its a beta
A blinking GPS icon means that the GPS receiver has not obtained a fix. The icon goes solid once a fix is obtained. If the GPS icon blinks for more then a few seconds then try this:

Download GPS Status. Use its tool to clear aGPS data. Then try again in the nav app.

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
There's a few apps that have gps status in the name what's the dev name?

agr1259

Reaction score
I have the gps status by EclipSim. I have had it take over 5 minutes for the GPS to obtain a fix a certain times of day when there are not many visable satellites or when there are large trees/buildings near me when I turn it on. Remember if you are in a car the roof can block satellites so that is where the gps status will help you know what satellites your phone can "see".

OP
joeyx2

joeyx2

Reaction score
Yea, I have tried everything. I've got a new D2G on the way. The verizon lady let me get my upgrade early so if I have problems with gps on that one I know its the area. I've also seen that a lot of people are having gps problems. I googled it in general not specifying what device being used and it looks like its a big problem and may not be my phone but I guess I will see come Friday by 7pm. I've downloaded gps monitor and that would not pic up on ANY satellites.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
I have the gps status by EclipSim. I have had it take over 5 minutes for the GPS to obtain a fix a certain times of day when there are not many visable satellites or when there are large trees/buildings near me when I turn it on. Remember if you are in a car the roof can block satellites so that is where the gps status will help you know what satellites your phone can "see".
Ummmm, not really...unless you are driving a lead-encased car or truck. Satellite signal degradation is almost moot considering the low power UHF signal being used...it very easily passes through an automobile body.

If you have a GPS, be it a phone based one, hand held, or dash mounted, and it routinely does not gain a signal lock, you have a defective GPS. There are 24 satellites in orbit providing GPS signal to Planet Earth...at least 4-6 should always be in range...

Just adding some info...hope it helps even though the OP has already gotten a replacement phone...:)

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I've downloaded gps monitor and that would not pic up on ANY satellites.
Again, get GPS Status (Eclipsim as mentioned above) and clear your aGPS data. This always resolves issues with obtaining a GPS fix on my Droid.