Angry Birds and .902

billyk

Reaction score
Not a critical app, but it's curious for me that Angry Birds no longer runs smoothly after the update. It pauses every minute or so for maybe 20 seconds. Not sure if processing in other, similar apps are affected.

Has anyone else seen this?

fdisker

Reaction score
Not seeing the pauses on my phone after the .902 update. Have played about 30 minutes of Angry Birds Rio and Angry Birds Seasons and both played normally. I should mention that I did a factory reset after the upgrade so the phone was pretty clean.

CurGeorge8

Reaction score
I have noticed a similar phenomenon, not just with angry birds, but with many of my games. They all ran smoothly up until the last update. Now, they are pausing for a few seconds at seemingly random intervals.

I've done all the normal troubleshooting steps, can resolve the problem.

dmbatcofc

Reaction score
Try downloading Android System Info from the market.... after installed, check your log tab for anything highlighted in red. may be an app or system tool running in background that isnt playing nice with .902.

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far.

One additional thing I've noticed: Angry Birds (the only game I have right now) runs fine after a restart. Then, if I go to the Google Search hardware button and look up a "how-to" on the net to get to the next level, it's after doing all of that that I see the pauses in processing. Maybe something with the hard search button, google search, my browser (Boat Browser) - these are the new variables that are introduced prior to the issue surfacing.

Checking what's running in the background is a great idea. I'll try that when I get home later.

rdgxray

Reaction score
My game was paushing...starting shutting everything in memory off with task manager before playing and that helped...had avg anti virus installed and uninstalled it...I could notice it slowing phone

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

josh1980

Reaction score
I've been running 901 for a few weeks. I installed it just a few days after it made it's way onto the forum. Angry birds and Burn the Rope both freeze for me as you describe. I have noticed if I force the CPU frequency to 1Ghz(default is sliding scale from 300Mhz to 1Ghz) then the games play fine. I have also noticed that this only happens when I am in a very small town where I get a very poor signal(3G comes and goes as you walk through the house).

You could try using an app like CPU Master Free to force 1Ghz and that might help. I have not upgraded to 902 yet.

-Josh

OP
B

billyk

Reaction score
Spent a little more time with this last night. It's not that Angry Birds is an important app to me, it just that I wonder if that processor-instensive app hiccups consistently, what other apps will have a hard time with 902? Is it bad app code or bad update code?

I initially thought that it was possibly Google Search or my browser, both of which get used while I play AB if I need to refer to a walkthrough on YouTube. But, last night AB had significant hiccups after a battery pull - a clean slate.

Now that everyone is getting 902, it'll be interesting if they find AB problematic, or other apps as well.

tincup33

Reaction score
I had this happening with the 901 update and it's still happening with the 902 update. It almost feels like this happens if the app has a problem loading one of it's ads. The freeze only happens for a few seconds but it's annoying and it's fairly frequent. I usually only play the OG Angry Birds so I haven't tested this with the others yet.

josh1980

Reaction score
Actually, i think it might be a situation where extra cpu load occurred(my thought was trying to connect to a cell tower with a weak signal) and the operating system either kept the cpu at a low frequency or prevented the cpu from increasing the frequency.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums