Android... Resistance is futile!

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
Android caters to the masses, so this was kinda inevitable. Virgin even offers a $99 android phone. There are multiple phones, on every carrier using it (even at&t, although i heard there worse than verizon in terms of all the carrier stuff added) There are also 2 for 1 deals with verizon and sprint.

Honestly as a user of both, android needs alot of work (alot) and it would be good to have it stay more or less 50/50, but apple really needs to expand the amount of carriers it's on to play that game.

In one way it's a shame, because Google doesn't stick up for the end user at all, which is why on the "open" Android OS i'm prompted with OTA updates for apps and a vcast appstore i never asked for. It along with the other useless verizon software cannot be uninstalled.

You know what else is a joke? Scrolling through your applications page. It's 2010, (almost 2011) and my android runs froyo, with a 1ghz processor. My 2007 iphone was far smoother. In terms of navigating the OS, using the browser. (opera's pinch to zoom is a joke too, pinching and zooming to predefined zoom levels is NOT pinch to zoom, it's a sloppy hack job)

quality counts for alot.

trickle x

Reaction score
And in the English language, alot is not one word. For example, repeat after me, a lot of iPhone users are sheep. :)

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
And in the English language, alot is not one word. For example, repeat after me, a lot of iPhone users are sheep. :)

Why are they sheep? Verizon, sprint, At&T all strangle the Android platform far far harder than iOS (although most of them don't have the chance yet to strangle iOS)

My Incredible has two radio apps provided by verizon i can't uninstall, along with cityID, my verizon mobile, slacker, vcast apps, vz navagator.

Yeah android is open, just more open to carriers:D

So why can't my droid from 2010 scroll through it's app page without stuttering? Cause i don't think it's the hardware, (a lot)

epsilonbass

Reaction score
My guess is that the iPhone (and i'd throw in the touch wiz theme of the Fascinate) more operates as a transitional animation between two screens. Where as the stock android app drawer is more of a real time response to touch, that is a lot more processor intensive.

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
My guess is that the iPhone (and i'd throw in the touch wiz theme of the Fascinate) more operates as a transitional animation between two screens. Where as the stock android app drawer is more of a real time response to touch, that is a lot more processor intensive.

it doesn't. Otherwise you couldn't cann it half way through (just as smoothly) and go back, half way through getting to the next screen.

It's just open gl es. Android doesn't have it for the OS yet.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Jesse, you have some really good valid points. The unstallable apps are far from what any user wants...forcing people to have an app is crap, and completly violates googles policy. I disagree with your complaint about the smoothness though. My schrolling is just fine, id say its completly on par with iOS. What I think any OS should have is a native file manager, that's where android needs to improve. Copy and paste in my oppinion sucks as well...but it is being worked in on one of the next updates.

Dejuanxg

Reaction score

What does it matter that he or she put "alot" or "a lot" you still understood what they ment and it was pointless for you to make such a lame comment because we all know you are perfect in ever way.

In other words my fried you are a DROIIIIIIIIID!!!!!!!!!!!

D-Mac

Reaction score
What does it matter that he or she put "alot" or "a lot" you still understood what they ment and it was pointless for you to make such a lame comment because we all know you are perfect in ever way.

In other words my fried you are a DROIIIIIIIIID!!!!!!!!!!!

It matters because it is wrong. Arguing that it's acceptable because we were able to figure out what he meant is ridiculous. Would you accept a 12fps video player? Of course you wouldn't even though you could probably watch a video and figure it out. Low standards shouldn't be tolerated in apps, OSs, hardware or forum posts.
Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
Jesse, you have some really good valid points. The unstallable apps are far from what any user wants...forcing people to have an app is crap, and completly violates googles policy. I disagree with your complaint about the smoothness though. My schrolling is just fine, id say its completly on par with iOS. What I think any OS should have is a native file manager, that's where android needs to improve. Copy and paste in my oppinion sucks as well...but it is being worked in on one of the next updates.

What are you running? I use a Droid Incredible, with 2.2 and the latest updates and there is a noticeable difference in OS lag, i've seen it on the incredible, evo, and samsung galaxy S. I take care of all three at work.

And for the record, the carrier bloatware is not against any google policy, as every phone company does it. If it really bothered google they could always just not let them use the marketplace.

From what i hear, hardware accelerated home screen / os support may come in gingerbread, i'm sure it will come at some point.

a side note to the fandroids i make froth at the mouth, I'm not a apple fan boy, i'm all for competition. If one platform becomes dominant, it's my belief development from the mothership (be it google or apple) will slow.

I still use my iphone as my main phone (sorry but 2.2 is no where near ready for me) but i've "adapted" some android into my daily routine:D (yes, live weather, the whole kip:D)

5176486677_ec889bed21.jpg

i've rooted my incredible, and you can't do modifications this drastic to it, yet:D Android themes are lame, sense owns most of them.

JesseDegenerate

Reaction score
I'm here @ work now, and i got a chance to play around with the galaxy some more, and while a/b ing them it's not as smooth as my iOS device yet, but it's better than my incredible.

ARM Cortex A8 1GHz processor i guess is better than the 1 Ghz Snapdragon processor?

Either way @ 1ghz i kinda expect more

If your going to fix my spelling, please do it with correct grammar. :D

/comma comma