Android Pay Support For Rooted Devices Not Coming Any Time In The Near Future

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

If you want to be rooted, it looks like for now you will not be able to use Android Pay. Of course there are those apps that hide the fact that you are rooted, but you always run the risk of embarrassing yourself if those apps fail to work and you hold up a line when your Android Pay stops working. According to "Jason Clinton" a Google Security Engineer Explains that while they know that the root community makes up their most ardent fan base there are good reasons that devices that are rooted can't be supported. He later went on to say that he didn't know of any way currently or in the near future that it would be possible to support Rooted devices. Head to the link below for his full explanation.

via XDA

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
While I understand what they are saying... I don't agree.

there's a way for this to work with root, I used my PC for transactions all the time and I have full administrative access.. I believe I've got chrome set to save one of my cards... and if my pc get's hacked it's possible to have that info stolen, this is my decision to do this, not their's if it happens it's my fault

what I'm trying to say is this is my choice... give me an option a pop-up that warns me... tells me i'm an idiot if I enable it... but still allows me to enable it.

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
Google may not have control over this.
It may fall in the hands of the credit card issuers.
They may require a certain level of security to use the pay model.

They say you can't use a rooted device but you can.
Add cards before rooting.
Once rooted install Xposed and there is a root cloak module that works and will let you do transactions.
The test for modifying cards will fail while Xposed is installed because the framework is no longer stock.

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
Google may not have control over this.
It may fall in the hands of the credit card issuers.
They may require a certain level of security to use the pay model.

They say you can't use a rooted device but you can.
Add cards before rooting.
Once rooted install Xposed and there is a root cloak module that works and will let you do transactions.
The test for modifying cards will fail while Xposed is installed because the framework is no longer stock.
so if I uninstall xposed I should be able to add my cards? I'll give that a shot... I've been trying to add cards with root cloak... hasn't worked, I'll give this a shot.

it may be in their hands, I don't believe it, but it's possible.