Android pay at ATM's ?

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Your smartphone will start replacing your debit card at ATMs this year

When contactless payments work it's awesome. Between the time it saves reaching into your wallet when your phone is already in hand and it looking cool, it has become my goto payment system. The issue is sometimes it can be hit or miss, especially Samsung Pay. Though Samsung pay works at more places Android Pay is more consistent, but that is a topic for another article.

We are getting to a point where we could use our phones to withdraw money from ATM's. Before people cry about security and safety, they have been using this method overseas and America is literally playing catch up in this area. We are already there if you think about it. With Samsung Pay I can do debit cash back at registers all over. Of course this will mean even tighter device security which will not be what tinkerers want to hear.
I'm all for them advancing the tech. The virtual card is more secure than your plastic, and these days if someone get a hold of your card numbers they can rack up charges anyway, especially if the site do not ask for a billing address. Just look up the incident where a fast food attended used a customers card to buy something when the customer was made to think they had to swipe it at another register because it was (said) broken.

How would you feel about using your phone to make ATM withdraws?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
I've not thought about ATM withdraws but I'd be all for it ...Of course with the right security measures in place ...love using my smart watch to pay at places ...

6s Plus

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'd use it. Would be one more than the 3 places in town that I've found I can use my phone to pay.

Can you get cash back with Android Pay now? I can't remember if it was Pay or Wallet, but one of them failed on me at Walgreens a while ago because I'd tried to get cash back with my transaction.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
How often do you leave the house with only your phone? Whenever I'm out and about I've got my wallet with me anyway. No sense using my phone when it's just as easy (& more secure) to use my card. But that's just me.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
It's really not more secure to use your card. If someone steals my card, they can swipe it and run it as credit. No PIN or anything else needed.

Android Pay, on the other hand, first, issues a virtual card number, so my actual card number isn't used. If someone steals my phone, they have to have my fingerprint or my PIN to unlock the phone before they can use it to pay anywhere/etc. And it's faster to use the phone. Less fumbling to put the card back in the wallet and get the wallet in your pocket while trying to get out of other people's way.

To each their own, but the card is no more secure by any means and I find Android Pay convenient.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
It's really not more secure to use your card. If someone steals my card, they can swipe it and run it as credit. No PIN or anything else needed.

Android Pay, on the other hand, first, issues a virtual card number, so my actual card number isn't used. If someone steals my phone, they have to have my fingerprint or my PIN to unlock the phone before they can use it to pay anywhere/etc. And it's faster to use the phone. Less fumbling to put the card back in the wallet and get the wallet in your pocket while trying to get out of other people's way.

To each their own, but the card is no more secure by any means and I find Android Pay convenient.
Not necessarily more secure. Each tap with the NFC sends information, what information I don't know but someone could install a device that, when you activate android pay, it steals your info. Much like the card readers that thieves put on gas station pumps, atms, etc.

Reactions: cr6

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Not necessarily more secure. Each tap with the NFC sends information, what information I don't know but someone could install a device that, when you activate android pay, it steals your info. Much like the card readers that thieves put on gas station pumps, atms, etc.
True. Good call. I should look more into the virtual cats number thing. Not sure if it generates a new one for each transaction. That would make it more secure against those kinda skimmers.

Sent from a backup S3 :(

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
ATM installer and repair technician here! We haven't even been trained on this technology, so it's hard to believe it will be mainstream this year. FTR, my company manufactures about 80% of the ATM's across the country.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
We use Diebold mostly. I can't see this tech happening for at least 3-5 years.

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
The majority of ATM machines here are Diebold. We have a version of this in effect. You can use your phone to transfer money to any bank account, but not to pay bills. You can pay bills at any ATM but you need your ATM Card to do so. It looks like the technology exists, it just depends on how far the bank wants to go with it.

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
The majority of ATM machines here are Diebold. We have a version of this in effect. You can use your phone to transfer money to any bank account, but not to pay bills. You can pay bills at any ATM but you need your ATM Card to do so. It looks like the technology exists, it just depends on how far the bank wants to go with it.
That depends on the bank. I can scan a check for remote deposit, pay my bills, transfer money, all from my phone. Only time I need an ATM is for cash due to parking lots around here not taking credit.

Reactions: cr6

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I don't remember last time I made atm withdrawal. Deposit yes, but withdrawal no. Everything is either credit card or PayPal. Unless to pay for a stripper, they are so behind the times.