Android OS for iPhone/iPod Touch ?

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
As I am sure that it will only be a matter of time, but has anyone heard or know if this has been done yet?

I would really like to ditch the OS on my iPod Touch for Android, and a buddy of mine rather likes the Android OS over his iPhone.

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks,

LBS

JaCelica2k

Reaction score
As I am sure that it will only be a matter of time, but has anyone heard or know if this has been done yet?

I would really like to ditch the OS on my iPod Touch for Android, and a buddy of mine rather likes the Android OS over his iPhone.

Thanks,

LBS

I would very seriously doubt this but I guess you never know.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
or you could buy an Android device? Why buy Apple hardware and then try to run Google software? Guess I'm just not seeing the point here.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
or you could buy an Android device? Why buy Apple hardware and then try to run Google software? Guess I'm just not seeing the point here.

so he can still look like he has an iphone and be accepted into the Apple elitists:happy2:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

so he can still look like he has an iphone and be accepted into the Apple elitists:happy2:

Guess it's the same as buying a Droid and then using iPhone icons. I never understood that.... :icon_ poke:

JaCelica2k

Reaction score

Guess it's the same as buying a Droid and then using iPhone icons. I never understood that.... :icon_ poke:

I personally don't use iphone icons. but there is a difference between using polished apple icons and trying to get the ipod OS running on a droid.

Laurence5905

Reaction score

Thanks,

LBS

I'm sure it could be done... Just a matter of downloading the Android source-code and compiling it for the iPhone's CPU. Installing it would be the hard part -- how do you get access to the ROM chip to do the install? Does jailbreaking an iPhone give you the same type of access that "rooting" the Droid does? If so, then it might be possible. But an awful lot of work to go through, for not much benefit. A Droid, even if you pay full retail price, is cheaper than the value of the time you'd spend adapting Android to the iPhone or iTouch, IMHO.

OP
LastBoyScout

LastBoyScout

Reaction score

Well, stand up so this doesnt go over your head again... :icon_ devil:

I have a Droid already. I hate using iTunes. I truly enjoy the Android OS over the iphone/ipod OS.

i would like to have the Android OS on my iPod Touch. :icon_ banana:

My friend also likes my Droid better, and mentioned that he wished someone would setup Android to run on the iPhone hardware.

Seems a pretty straight forward summary and explanation to me.

Besides, why own a device with an OS that limits what you can do with it, when you could have Android.

All i am saying, is that this could take off big.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
I would love to see it..... iphone fan bois would hate it!

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I have a Droid already. I hate using iTunes. I truly enjoy the Android OS over the iphone/ipod OS.

My friend also likes my Droid better, and mentioned that he wished someone would setup Android to run on the iPhone hardware.

Besides, why own a device with an OS that limits what you can do with it, when you could have Android.

Not over my head hoss... I understood you have and like the Android OS.
You wouldn't have multi-touch with an Android OS on an Apple device. Wouldn't that make the iTouch limited?

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

I personally don't use iphone icons. but there is a difference between using polished apple icons and trying to get the ipod OS running on a droid.
I understand it's different. One is an OS the other are icons. Functionality vs. looks. I still find it pointless to buy a device and made it look like another.

OP
LastBoyScout

LastBoyScout

Reaction score
You wouldn't have multi-touch with an Android OS on an Apple device. Wouldn't that make the iTouch limited?

what do you mean? multi-touch is a hardware/software issue. the iphone/ipod touch already have the hardware needed, and the Android OS supports multi-touch (just not in the US... )

i dont see why that would not work. besides, the milestone rom handles multi-touch.

p.s. that over your head thing was a joke... thought you might catch that... hoss.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

what do you mean? multi-touch is a hardware/software issue. the iphone/ipod touch already have the hardware needed, and the Android OS supports multi-touch (just not in the US... )

i dont see why that would not work. besides, the milestone rom handles multi-touch.

p.s. that over your head thing was a joke... thought you might catch that... hoss.
hoss? dang it i meant boss. lol. If you put the Droid OS on the iTouch wouldn't it NOT have multi-touch because the Android OS doesn't have it?(US ver.) Tho the hardware supports it..... unless you used a Milestone port... then conceivably it should work....right?

JaCelica2k

Reaction score

Better question.....why have the ipod touch if you have a droid. No need for both devices IMHO. I gave my touch to my wife because I knew I would never use it again.