"Android OS" draining battery

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
I know this has been discussed at length in other threads but there seems to be no definitive reason for why it happens and it seems to vary by device.

Basically, my RAZR is draining battery fairly quickly, runiing out in around 10 hours of light use. According to the device, "Android OS" is taking >50% of the battery usage where on my DX and D1, it was always around 3-4%. On the RAZR, it is even eclipsing "display" for batery usage.

I saw that users had reported GO Launcher as a culprit with other phones, so I uninstalled that and went with ADW which has always been good to me. Same thing after that.

Does anyone else have this problem with the RAZR yet? Is it even possible that Blur doesn't like the fact that I am using a 3rd party launcher regardless of the brand? Any ideas at this point are welcome. Thanks.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Any chance you bypassed the login of your google account? That was what caused it on my D3.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
There are so many settings that can influence the OS, that I would really recommend an Factory Data Reset and start fresh. Then do not make wholesale settings adjustments until you see if the issue has gotten better. If so, the slowing make changes from stock.

Factory Data Reset:

These have gotten pretty painless lately by following these simple steps: 1. Make sure Backup and Restore are checked in the Privacy setting. 2. When going through the setup after the reset, turn on wifi as soon as you can (assuming it is available). 3. After you have entered your Gmail account info, you will be presented with a screen that has two check boxes. Basically they are "Do you want Google to backup and restore this phone”. Make sure you check both of those. Your apps will then automatically reinstall (paid and free). Set the phone aside for a minute or two and let the apps download and install. 3. If rooted, use an app such as titanium backup to restore data only to select apps such as Tapatalk and you will not have to re-enter all your login information. I do this for 3-4 apps (Tapatalk, SPB Shell, etc.).

I've been flashing new roms/updates about once per day lately and I can be up and running with all my apps and settings back in place in less than 20 minutes. It's pretty painless now.

OP
DeadlyAP1

DeadlyAP1

Reaction score
Any chance you bypassed the login of your google account? That was what caused it on my D3.

It's funny that you mention that. I had frozen some bloatware and later noticed that all my contacts and gmail stuff had disappeared. When I looked in accounts, my google info was not listed. I have since sync'd back up with google and it *seems* better so far. I will have to wait and see if that was somehow the problem.

If in the end I can't nail this down, I will go with the data reset.

Thanks for the advice, if anyone has any more ideas, shoot!

tclarktc

Reaction score
I had that problem but, actually, thanks to Bayou's advice in another thread I have it back down to roughly 5%. Ironically enough though now my Display is chewing u, as of right now, 57% of my battery life. I can't figure out why.

BayouFlyFisher

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I had that problem but, actually, thanks to Bayou's advice in another thread I have it back down to roughly 5%. Ironically enough though now my Display is chewing u, as of right now, 57% of my battery life. I can't figure out why.

That chart shows the top users and will add up to 100%. So when one use goes down something else will show a higher percentage even if total battery usage is less.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
I've noticed after I reboot mid battery cycle my android OS percentage goes down, plus I agree with previous statement. If phone is in use the android os will go down, when it stays in idle android OS is very high.

Typed with my Rooted RAZR

tclarktc

Reaction score
So, Bauou what your saying ia that even though you helped me get my OS operating percentage down alot of motivation. And now you look amazing.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Screebl is another culprit. Do you have Screebl installed?

tclarktc

Reaction score
No I don't have that. Kinda funny its an even split today. 50 percent display,10% wifi, 10% texting, 10% voice calling and thena fww various, incidental things remaining. OS, being on the forums, and cell standby. The other weird part is my battery information says that I'm at 70 percent but the battery bar (stock one) has barely moved. Our goddamn these just really wrong?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
List your apps you have installed. It's a rogue app is my best guess.