Android M Has Several Key Features Rumored

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-M-m-and-ms.jpg

According to a few different reports (as compiled by BGR), several key features of Android M may have been revealed. These features have been indirectly ascertained by reading between the lines of what Google I/O developers have been invited to check out during Google I/O this year. Here's the breakdown of what the rumors suggest:
  • “Voice Access” - adds voice as a new interaction method in apps on top of touch - this basically suggests that support for voice activation of apps and their specific features will be baked into Android M, offering users greater levels of hands-free use.
  • “Nearby” - (a previously rumored feature from the past) - Allows Android devices to communicate with other people, places and devices who are simply in close proximity - the rumors suggests this may not come standard with Android M at first, but could be enabled with a later Play Services update - there will also be a developer's session called “Proximity-Based Communication” which lends this rumored feature more credence.
  • "Material Design" - it looks like Google plans to push and expand their Material Design UI concept even further with Android M. There are several Material Design sessions scheduled during Google I/O. One is called “Bringing Material Design to life on Android.”
It's not much to go on, but it's a start. Let's cross our fingers that Android M will be a small and easy upgrade this time around!

LoneWolfArcher

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmm, nothing so far that I am anxious for. Of course I always want the latest and greatest so I will be chomping at the bit especially as I look to get a new smartphone this year.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
The way I see it, the software is pushing the hardware. I think this is better for the consumer. This isn't much but a few guesses, but as always Android gets better on the whole and we all benefit.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
At this point, I'm more interested to see how/where android wear is headed. I know many people have had their complaints about some of the more recent versions of the main OS, but I haven't had much issue with them. I think android's in a good enough place right now, so any of these added things are just icing on the cake for me.

But, now that Apple's fully in the wearable ring, I'm interested to see how quickly we see new features/functions for AW devices.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Proximity seems like it could be abused..think of it.. You pass by something in a store. And your newly purchased personal device, starts playing a commercial... Hmmm... And in another 30 feet.. Again... For someone else.. I know.. Probably not.. But with advertising now days.. Ya never know..

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Hmmm, nothing so far that I am anxious for. Of course I always want the latest and greatest so I will be chomping at the bit especially as I look to get a new smartphone this year.
Well, you've definitely chosen one heckuva year in which to purchase a new device. OS version aside, I think it'll be an amazing experience regardless of which make/model you go with. Everybody has brought their A-game to the table for 2015 and for the smartphone enthusiast, it's going to be extremely difficult to choose one device over the other.
Good luck with your decision LWA!

S5 tap'n