No Dark Theme For Android M 6.0

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Many of you voiced your disgust at the stark white ugly theme that arrived alongside the new material UI. The first developer preview build of Android M included a toggle for the dark theme. The dark theme was completely removed in the second developer build of Android M 6.0, and it does not look like we will be getting it back. The missing feature is listed in the issue tracker, and while Google has not formally spoken of the missing dark theme they have acknowledged it there.

Please bring back the Dark Theme In the Android M,this time with pitch Black color applicable for displays like the notification center,title bar & app drawer.
Thanks for the suggestion. Our development team has looked into this feature request. This will not be included in the M release. However, this may be considered for future releases.

The light theme is among the least favorite stock looks in all of Android, and this may be a disappointment to some of you that you will now just have to live with it. Is this a big deal to any of you, or has the light theme had a chance to grow on you?

Last edited by a moderator:

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Considering Google's new logo and how they're revamping their app icons, the dark theme doesn't "pop" like the light theme. Google with their new approach has seem to taken a more colorful and friendly approach, so I wouldn't be surprised if the dark theme doesn't make it to 6.0.

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
I love dark themes. They are much easier on the eye, not to mention my battery. This is the main reason I use Textra and Type Mail. If I'm trying to decide between two similar apps and only one has a dark theme, I always go with that one even if the other app may be better. It's that important to me.