Android is losing

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Android IMO is more customizable and hackable but iOS has cydia which is really nice. I own the droid, the ipad 1, and the ipod touch 4g. Both are jailbroken and customized like crazy. The iPad 2 will probably be a tehtered jailbreak at first until a untethered one is found. When a untethered one is found it probably won't be released until the iphone 5 comes out. I just hate how jailbreaking slows down the device like crazy. On android it usually speeds it up. I know a lot about both worlds.

OP
jeffv2

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i have a script on my phone that sets everything up & to make sure the script doesn't run twice it copies a blank file to /cache, this way when i install a new rom it removes the file that stops the scrip from running. but my latest rom didn't delete the /cache directory. so i had to take it upon my self to delete it ..

OP
jeffv2

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
ipad 2 is a userland jailbreak so its not even sure that it will be jailbreakable on the next FW version. & a untethered jailbreak is a flaw in the hardware, they use a overflow to write to a different portion on the boot-loader, at least thats what 24kpwn did.
anyway they might have learned from all their mistakes with the ipad 2 (hopefully they didn't)

jailbreaking the ipod/ipad shouldn't make it slower if you install what you need and you keep background daemons to a minimum.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i have a script on my phone that sets everything up & to make sure the script doesn't run twice it copies a blank file to /cache, this way when i install a new rom it removes the file that stops the scrip from running. but my latest rom didn't delete the /cache directory. so i had to take it upon my self to delete it ..

Ahhh... ok... lol. If you know how to auto install system apps (not user) via init.d scripts please pm me.

{{ WugFresh }}

winner00

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
ipad 2 is a userland jailbreak so its not even sure that it will be jailbreakable on the next FW version. & a untethered jailbreak is a flaw in the hardware, they use a overflow to write to a different portion on the boot-loader, at least thats what 24kpwn did.
anyway they might have learned from all their mistakes with the ipad 2 (hopefully they didn't)

jailbreaking the ipod/ipad shouldn't make it slower if you install what you need and you keep background daemons to a minimum.

Userland jailbreaks can be untethered. The current devices on 4.2.1 are untethered because of a userland thats on a top a hardware exploit. The current devices will always be jailbreakable on any firmware but they will be tethered. If you are on 4.3 you will be tethered and hardly anything works with it. Mobile substrate is what slows the device down. Just having that slows it down.

OP
jeffv2

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
they're supposed to be updating mobile substrate for 4.3, so i've read.. but their untethered on devices that have a hardware exploit. which the ipad 2 doesn't have yet because everything was patched. but anyway i wonder how angry apple gets when a day after release there is a jailbreak, Steve jobs probably beats his developers after he finds out loll

Hyposprayer

Reaction score
they're supposed to be updating mobile substrate for 4.3, so i've read.. but their untethered on devices that have a hardware exploit. which the ipad 2 doesn't have yet because everything was patched. but anyway i wonder how angry apple gets when a day after release there is a jailbreak, Steve jobs probably beats his developers after he finds out loll

He probably threatens to take out their brains and put them in robots running the newest iOS. This could possibly explain why I feel empty when playing with an iPhone.

holmes6

Reaction score
I've used iTunes a few times... I think epic fail is a very fair assessment. I have negative feelings towards verizon and motorola as well for their business practices, so apple doesn't stand out all that much in context.
That said, the products seem nice for the most part. If I had more money, time, and motivation I'd buy some and form a more informed opinion. Working around some issue or unpleasant step is par for the course with tech.

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
I think iTunes isnt ideal for PC's but works very nicely on macs... that aside, iTunes is one of the only programs I found that can handle my massive collection. The only thing I found that compared was MediaMonkey.. lol, you guys must think I work for them considering how many times I brought it up. If you want to make it even better, grab GForce... really great music visualization program... the combo knocks itunes out of the park. Honestly though... with Pandora and Slacker radio... I have all the music I need.

{{ WugFresh }}

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think iTunes isnt ideal for PC's but works very nicely on macs... that aside, iTunes is one of the only programs I found that can handle my massive collection. The only thing I found that compared was MediaMonkey.. lol, you guys must think I work for them considering how many times I brought it up. If you want to make it even better, grab GForce... really great music visualization program... the combo knocks itunes out of the park. Honestly though... with Pandora and Slacker radio... I have all the music I need.

{{ WugFresh }}

That's my experience too. It worked well on the PC but I do recall having problems with files not being located in the correct areas. With a iMac it fits like a glove.

OP
jeffv2

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
i don't use windows or osx, my windows is on a partition and its only for emergencies because it's the old rc & it shutsdown every half hour lol.
but my music library is usually just managed by unity or whatever ubuntu 11.04 uses.

a little funny fact, Microsoft owned a part of apple at one point.. now i think they just own non voting shares.
now they have the mac vs windows commercials lol

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Don't want to deter this conversation to much... but if you care about your security, I would strongly advise against this decision. Windows is just to easy to hack, and your mobile device contains (and is used to transmit) the most confidential information you have. It will be extremely easy to redesign the viruses and malware already in circulation to also exploit Microsofts mobile platform. Hackers have a nice head start. Additionally, I really don't see any advantage to those windows phones besides better in built exchange support. Very few apps, limited customization, and just plain-old vulnerable. I love Windows but I will NEVER trust Microsoft enough to run their insecure os as my mobile platform.
.. just my opinion...

{{ WugFresh }}

No that's definitely a good point... I never thought about the "portability" of malware between desktop Windows and WP7.

There is no root/not root. Its just fake administrative privileges, fake authentication with UAC, and fake password protection os lock (only public key.... no private key). You can be an admin whenever you want, you can go around UAC, you can change the password... Not that I know how to do any of these things ;).

{{ WugFresh }}

not disagreeing with you, just thought this was an interesting headline/article as follow up: Hacking competition leaves Android, Windows Phone 7 undefeated - CNN.com

WugFresh

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
No that's definitely a good point... I never thought about the "portability" of malware between desktop Windows and WP7.

There is no root/not root. Its just fake administrative privileges, fake authentication with UAC, and fake password protection os lock (only public key.... no private key). You can be an admin whenever you want, you can go around UAC, you can change the password... Not that I know how to do any of these things ;).

{{ WugFresh }}

not disagreeing with you, just thought this was an interesting headline/article as follow up: Hacking competition leaves Android, Windows Phone 7 undefeated - CNN.com

Thank you for sharring that, it seems that many of the hackers involved who were capable dropped out of the competition... but what that article seemed to suggest and I was not aware of, was that the most practical exploit for all the mobile devices is actually through the mobile browser via WebKit. It mentioned that both the iPhone and Blackberry devices were successfully hacked that way, and that although at the end of competition both Android and WP7 remained unhacked, it had everything to do with the participants from dropping out, considering both Android and WP7 phones have WebKit.

My post suggested exploiting the OS itself, however, after reading that article maybe WP7 mobile windows OS is actually more secure than I presumed it to be. Or more likely, WebKit exploits are simply hackers preference since they are already familiar with the technology and have experience hacking it already. If you are a hacker in a hacking competition and there is technology present with known exploits already.. then of course that's the route your going to take... trying to exploit it from a different direction may still prove to be successful if not simpler, but doing anything for the first time takes significantly longer, and would not be a beneficial tactic for time take.

Thanks again for sharring. :)

{{ WugFresh }}

OP
jeffv2

jeffv2

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
old thread but i thought i'd resurrect it because 2 things, the windows kernel seems more secure from hackers taking control of low level processes, this is because the way the kernel was built, it mainly being built for someone to just use the computer. most problems with windows is malicious programs being opened by a user.

linux being much more open and allowing of low level changes naturally puts it at a greater threat for being "hacked" all one needs to do is gain super user privileges and arbitrary code can be executed. but that doesn't make it less secure, when the developers make mobile os's using the linux kernel they put time into making sure any vulnerability is non-existent.

the other reason i decided to post here is because i happened to have a family member give me their upgrade so i could get the iphone 4, and i must say that even though its closed source, there are so many modifications that can be done to iOS. im not sure if its that the developer base is much larger or if its the fact that everything is up to the user to decided the features because of dpkg, but im very pleased with my decision to purchase the iphone 4.

although i'm not very happy with the design of the iphone 4 (with its full glass enclosure) i must say from all software aspects its far superior to any android device i've owned or used. :icon_ banana: