Android 4.1.2 Is here for the Nexus 7! There are Several ways to update.

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
android-4.1.2-ota-nexus-7.jpg

As some of you may know by now, Android 4.1.2 is currently rolling out to select Nexus 7 devices. So far we have found that it adds Landscape mode, a new bootloader that will allow you to boot into recovery from bootloader mode, and other performance enhancements. If you are running a custom Rom or any firmware other than bonestock then you know the process to receiving an OTA is a tedious one. There are a few ways that you can update your device to 4.1.2.

First Way- If you are running bonestock you can wait until you get the popup window shown above asking if you would like to install the available update.

Second Way- You can return to stock using a tool like Nexus7 toolkit, then manually flash this file in custom recovery

Third Way- You can return to Stock JR0O3D and follow a lengthy ADB manual install guide like this one

EASIEST WAY- You can simply flash the STOCK ROOTED OTA file found here via custom recovery over ANY custom rom or firmware! (be sure to WIPE DATA!)

So there you have it. Let me know how you came out!

Last edited:
OP
DroidModderX

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
you do have to wipe

g_what

Reaction score
Aww... I got excited. Slightly misleading wording in the OP, but I understand.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Great, now I am going to be spending the rest of the day checking for system updates! :)

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
Me too..

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Running it on my galaxy nexus.

Hiroller173

Reaction score
Not so sure about that "easiest" way.

Didn't know I needed to wipe - just installed it using Rom Manager (with nandroid backup and wipe cache.)

Locked my system up tight. Not only wouldn't it boot normally, but it wouldn't even boot into recovery.

Had to use adb (via Nexus 7 toolkit) to push CWM back onto the phone then restore from nandroid.

geoff5093

Reaction score
No update as of last night, hoping it will come soon. Does the OTA require a wipe as well?