An app that'll unmute when "quiet" location is left? (Random gps locations)

Fonzz

Reaction score
Wait! PLEASE don't post a reply without reading my entire post first, it's important!

I can find a bunch of apps that will automatically change my volume settings based upon pre-defined areas and times but I can't find one that will suit my particular needs/wants: Without knowing where or when it'll be needed, I'd like to be able to manually turn down or mute my ringer, alert and alarm volumes at any time on a whim, and then, have them return to max levels automatically when gps detects a location change of more than say a 1/2 mile or so. See, I'm not doing anything, anywhere, on a regular basis, but I do like to be respectful and turn my volumes down manually in advance of a possible disruption if I'm in a hospital or a movie theater or something. My problem is, I often forget to turn volumes back up when leaving these type locations, actually, more often than not! Now I won't mind if an app does what I've described and even more (even better), but if it doesn't at least do exactly what I've described, the wait/search will continue.

If you have the key to my solution, I'd be eternally grateful for your direction to the particular app that will do the job.
If the featured solution I've described does not yet exist, perhaps someone with the skills can do the deed? :lifting:

That is if anyone is still here anymore? This place seems really dead now...

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
You may want to give 'Smart Volume Control' a shot. It has 'Profiles' that can automatically change settings. In my case I use it to turn on Bluetooth when I leave the house so that the phone will pair with a Motorola device in the car that wakes up when you get in the car. It also leaves it on so I can use my headset at the gym. I decided that the best approach for this particular activity was switching based on my WiFi dropping off, but you can use GPS as well. The app comes with a suggested 'Silent' profile that you could program for your needs. The way mine is set up my phone switches back to my 'home' setting when I return and drops the Bluetooth connection. I will be in a Medical office on 3/24 and will take a shot at using their 'Guest' WiFi connection to silence the phone. Bear in mind that the first priority to use on any of the profiles is the built in 'elsewhere' location on both GPS and WiFi (or other flags such as Bluetooth, devices, etc.)

OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
You may want to give 'Smart Volume Control' a shot. It has 'Profiles' that can automatically change settings. In my case I use it to turn on Bluetooth when I leave the house so that the phone will pair with a Motorola device in the car that wakes up when you get in the car. It also leaves it on so I can use my headset at the gym. I decided that the best approach for this particular activity was switching based on my WiFi dropping off, but you can use GPS as well. The app comes with a suggested 'Silent' profile that you could program for your needs. The way mine is set up my phone switches back to my 'home' setting when I return and drops the Bluetooth connection. I will be in a Medical office on 3/24 and will take a shot at using their 'Guest' WiFi connection to silence the phone. Bear in mind that the first priority to use on any of the profiles is the built in 'elsewhere' location on both GPS and WiFi (or other flags such as Bluetooth, devices, etc.)

thanks rudywilliams,
Okay, I went ahead and loaded the latest Smart Volume Control app (1.1.6), just so I could give it a look over... Wow, controls galore for sure, maybe the best volume controller out there, but unfortunately, I don't see that it would suit my particular described need. I think it may have some use for my scenario but for it to do as I described, it either can't, or it is very complicated and I'm not seeing (quickly) how to get it to do what I'd like. Best I can think of, I'm sure I can set it up to return volumes to max when I return home or any other place away from the quiet place I turned it on at but that's only a fraction of the simple? task I described. If there is a way I'm not seeing, please, anyone, school me!

If not, it seems as expected, the wait/search will continue...

rudywilliams

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto G 4 Plus
Just have an " elsewhere" profile that turns off the silent one. It is a little tricky to program, but it will keep you from getting 'halfzheimers' just programming it!

If you set elsewhere in that silent profile and set it to turn off it may do the trick. See my screenshot below.

Last edited:
OP
Fonzz

Fonzz

Reaction score
I don't mean to sound ungrateful, but this is not helping me, it is way too complicated (I don't understand the app) and I want something that's guaranteed (not "may do the trick") to help me, no less.

If anyone knows for sure how to make this app do what I've described in my original post with little effort (once it's set up), please, if you have the time, type up some detailed (step by step) directions to help someone like myself do what needs to be done with this app without any prior experience or knowledge of the normal behaviors of the app in question. (Smart Volume Control Newbie) Even IF the app can do what I need, it looks so darn complicated to me right now (sooo many options), I'm leery of using it/delving into it for fear of messing up settings and doing exactly what I'm trying to avoid, miss an important call or text.

Or if anyone knows of a simpler app that does just what I described in an easy format...

For this particular dilemma, suggestions are nice but I'm gonna hold out for a guaranteed, tried and tested, working solution if there is one, to save my sanity.

Again, I do appreciate helpful intent.