Amazon's Fire Phone Drops to 99 Cents; Flops as Hard as the Facebook Phone

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
bezos-fire-phone.jpg

Do you remember the fiasco that HTC had when they introduced the HTC First? It was supposed to be the first Facebook focused smartphone. Ultimately it turned out to be one of the biggest flops in smartphone history. Well it looks like it will now have company in the spooky graveyard of failed mobile devices.

The new Amazon Fire phone just dropped from its original contract price of $199.99 down to just 99 cents on a new two year AT&T contract. This is after only three months on the market. According to reports, only about 40,000 units of the Fire Phone were sold to consumers.

It probably isn't too surprising why the phone has faired poorly. First, instead of creating a compelling experience, Amazon just gave it a gimmicky 3D feature. Second, the phone was drastically over-priced for the market when it first launched. Third, it was an AT&T exclusive. These missteps are basically a recipe for disaster. Maybe Amazon's next-gen version of the device will get back to basics...

Source: BGR

Last edited:

swc2001

Reaction score
Ummm Duh... LOL
However there was that Tofu Ninja game that made me jealous.... However I am sure it could be run on any other phone.... they just wont let you.
Anybody have the APK?
Oh probably not because any self respecting Hacking Android lover that would have the APK
Would NEVER HAVE THE FIRE PHONE > LOL

But seriously if you do I humbly apologize and would really Love to have that APK... PM Me?

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Who didn't see this coming? Seriously!? At .99c it may sell still because of the free year of Prime shipping. A parent may buy it for their kid and benefit with the Prime access for themselves but even then, its still worthless being locked into the Amazon world. IMO, if they made it like a nexus device, pure Android, and included their app store as well as being able to access prime streaming, it may have done better.

jspradling7

Reaction score
I had a good giggle when this phone was first announced. I learned my lesson when I bought the original Kindle Fire. That thing was useless until we got a recovery and CM running on it. I'll never waste money on another Amazon device.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
What's the Amazon Fire Phone, don't think I ever heard of it. :p

Funny, when you order something from amazon it is plastered all over the place. Got my box and the tape they use is black with orange writing that says amazon fire phone, yet still no one cared enough about it. Like we said when it first came out, they going to end up giving that thing away to customers who buy an amazon prime membership.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2

brickphone

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG F3
It failed due to two issues.
1. No Google apps
2. Locked to att

From what i read the interface is kind of junky as well. They copied the tablet skin on to a smaller screen. Stupid market for them to go into. When you think of a market with a lot of inefficiencies and high margins- smartphones doesn't come to mind