Am I alone? Moto Droid -> Eris

Shinobi326

Reaction score
I feel like I'm in a lone camp here. I got my Moto Droid on New Years and then I just got my wife the Droid Eris this past Saturday (using the free Eris deal).

The long of the short of it is, I kind of like the Eris over the Moto Droid for the following reasons:

- Eris is seemingly way lighter
- I do not like the physical keyboard on the Moto Droid (even though I liked physical keyboards in the past). I'm disappointed in I wonder how much of the weight issue is due to this keyboard?
- The Eris HTC UI interface is better (5 home screens vs 3 by default). I have to run Panda or some homescreen app on my Droid to make it the same. The Eris UI seems more 'refined' in a way.
- The Android 2.0 is coming to Eris in about a week (reported by two different Verizon sales reps one on the phone one in the store when I bought my wife's Eris).
- Tracball on the Eris is nice at times and is definitely functional.
- Eris is $100 cheaper
- Apps simply 'spontaneously' launch without me wanting them too (calendars, weatherbug, my uploads, etc.) that simply don't happen on my wife's Eris.

Sure the Moto droid is faster at certain tasks, has a slightly bigger screen, Android 2.0 (today), and higher resolution. I'm just not seeing how these things really outweigh the Eris bullets above (for me at least).

Am I missing something? Am I alone?

StupidGenius

Reaction score
It's all a matter of preference. I didn't like the feel of the Eris. The Droid's hardware both in and out outdo the Eris to me. But then again, that's me.

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
We are getting 2.1 soon and I like the weight/heavy-duty-ness of the Droid. Other than that if you like the SenseUI and trackball and no keyboard and don't mind the lower resolution, lighter construction, etc then it sounds like you should get an Eris lol

Sweet Daddy

Reaction score
I bought my wife the Eris and it just feels too dainty in my hands. I'm not that big on the Sense UI either.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Owning a phone is a matter of preference, that's why there are so many:)

If you feel the Eris is for you then by all means go and get it. You still get the great Android OS and it is more polished. Many, especially here, would say the Droid is better than the Eris, but again they're not the ones using the phone, you are.

I love my Droid for what it is. I've had it since launch day and I have never gotten bored with it or anything like that. It's a great looking device, has a nice weight to it, and doesn't feel cheap (not saying the Eris does, but more of a comparison to like an enV3). I am more than happy with my Droid to this day and hopefully you'll feel that way about the Eris if you do switch.

OP
S

Shinobi326

Reaction score
Is there anyone here who has switched to the Eris and either liked or regretted that switch?

elgordo123

Reaction score
I almost got an Eris for my wife. I am glad I didn't. I haven't seen any update releases for it yet, even though they say it will have updates (especially navigation). I really hope verizon doesn't leave it in the dust as I still might get one if they put navigaton and alteast 2.0 on it. So far I feel sorry for Eris users. In my opinion have been duped into getting something that isn't getting the support and updates they were counting on.

Elysian

Reaction score
We should be getting 5 homescreens when we get 2.1 as well. I'm confused about the spontaneous loading of apps, I've never seen this happen before. Keyboard grew on me, I use it quite a bit, and am quite proficient with it now. Never trust a store or phone rep about phone updates, they never seem to have the correct info.

Del Vecchio

Reaction score
The Eris felt a little too fragile to me. I have big hands so the size and weight of the Droid was more my style. I am slowly learning how to type on the physical keyboard. I have noticed myself getting faster on all of them actually.

MrCapcom

Reaction score
I love the weight of the phone it feels solid. And I never have problems with apps running themselves.
As far as the Eris VS the DROID
IMO the Eris is a starter Smartphone and Android Phone thats why its so easy to do things but soon you will want the DROID for its power and keyboard at least I did.

Don't get me wrong i love the Eris I think its a nice phone just not for me. HTC sense is on DROID already in DEV so if i really wanted it ill root my phone.

actrack03

Reaction score
I actually had the Eris first and switched to the Droid. Sense has 7 home screens which is nice but with the 2.1 the Droid will have 5 (which I already have) and is sufficient for me. If I need more, I will download and home app. The resolution on the Droid is noticeably better and is faster. Sense I/U is good but remember it is still an additional resource taker which will slow up the phone (only a little) and possibly eat more battery life. Also Droid is Vanilla android and be able to update quicker than the Eris because there is less to adapt to the phone when the updates get released which is part of the reason the Eris is still running 1.5 when the Droid will be seeing its second update soon, the Eris will be seeing it's first.

All of these points are why I prefer the Droid and are only my opinion. If knowing all of these facts and you still prefer the Eris, then that is the phone you should own.

broosewee

Reaction score
At first, the Eris seemed to be a better phone. I liked the trackball a lot and it came with 7 (not 5) homescreens. It was smaller, but still felt like a solid phone. Cheaper, SenseUI, 1.5 > 2.0, the Eris is an amazing value proposition.

But now that 2.0.1 and 2.1 are out, I feel like the Droid is showing more potential. Its fairly snappy performance feels better than the Eris now, which still lags quite a bit on some screens. 2.1 apps are sharp and much improved plus we'll be getting more native homescreens. I'm glad I have the Droid and my wife is glad she got the Eris.

imiller913

Reaction score
IMO the eris didn't feel as solid in my hands and I'm not a huge fan of the trackball, but that's probaly because I had to return 3 or 4 BB tours because of the trackball.

NVash

Reaction score
Really? Five home screens? Maybe its just me but I only use two of my home screens. I have the third but I barely use it at all. Ever since I got the hang of using folders I just have one screen with all my folders and the one with frequently used stuff. Thats good enough for me. I guess with all the other screens I can take the stuff out of the folders.

As for Droid and Eris, I saw the Eris in the store, picked it up, put it back down in a few minutes. I just didnt like it, the Droid seemed so much better. The Eris almost looked like a toy, I was afraid it would break easily. Droid looks like if I drop it it could take the hit. So I got the Droid. Still dont regret it.

OP
S

Shinobi326

Reaction score
I really appreciate all of the comments on this topic. I think since I already have the Moto Droid I should stick it out a little while longer, especially through 2.1 release.

If you have something more to add or you are a Droid -> Eris convert I'd still like to hear from you!