Aluminum Battery Can Charge a Smartphone in One Minute

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I find the "bendable" a bit concerning. Aluminum doesn't flex very well.

I would think it would be hinged.

It said "it's so flexible it's foldable" in the op, a quality not inherent in aluminum.

I think what you may not be realizing is that this isn't a sheet of aluminum but rather some pulverized or powdered aluminum mixed with graphite or graphene to actually hold and carry the charge etc etc.

I may be wrong, however that seems more plausible than sheets of aluminum inside a battery with graphite

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Actually its likely either what @liftedplane said, or an Aluminum paste. In other words, it's not solid Aluminum or even Aluminum foil, it's an Aluminum Alloy which is possibly an Aluminum Oxide alloy. Aluminum Oxide is a white powder, in extremely fine particulate, which is often used as a polishing agent for glass. Glass makers use it to polish the edges of cut glass to a smooth and rounded edge. I have used it many times to remove scratches from plate glass.

So the bending would be whatever other components the battery is comprised of. By comparison, LiPo Pouch batteries (the ones now more commonly found in our phones) are comprised of a pouch of polymer that has been "Aluminized" or coated with Aluminum. The fact that it's plastic makes it pliable/bendable, however there are other components inside which are less compliant and would eventually begin to crack and ultimately fail if you were to try to fold and repeatedly bend a LiPo Pouch cell, and with potentially dangerous consequences.

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Phew! I thought I'd accidentally clicked on our "precious & semi precious metals and gem stones" forum called rockNmetal.net.
Just sayin....you guys know your metal!

S5 tap'n

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
I don't see them putting the battery in a spot that will be subjected to constant bending.

Reactions: cr6