Alternatives to lapdock

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by dra868, Sep 8, 2011.

1. dra868

dra868 New Member

Ordered my Bionic today from walmart ($219 w/unlimited data $199 on tiered plan) and anxiously awaiting its arrival. I bought this phone primarily for the webtop/lapdock function. However, the lapdock did not get good reviews and I was wondering what is an alternative? I want to be able to quickly access files on the go. The lapdock would have been perfect but it's over priced and is not worth it per reviews. Is it possible to do this with a laptop and use webtop?

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  2. J5311

J5311 New Member

the cheapest way would be the mobile webtop.... its a very small device but u would need a tv with an hdmi cable to use it
  3. Speeding Wheels

Speeding Wheels New Member

or a monitor with HDMI in
  4. dra868

dra868 New Member

With the webtop adaptor, would this work on a laptop as the monitor? I don't want to carry another device(s) monitor, keyboard, mouse, etc

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums
  5. gravebelly

gravebelly New Member

I do not know if the HD dock is out of your price but worth it. Its 99 bucks but verizon store has 25 percent off. Paid 75 for it. It has 3 usb ports and hdmi port. Problem solved. Hook up key board, mouse, and whatever else hard drive perhaps to any HDMI tv or monitor. It is the best alternative imho.
  6. mlo0352

mlo0352 New Member

I feel like it's such an easy idea, though. Isn't there a way to create the same functionality with a powered usb adapter and a microusb adapter?
  7. Vepaot

Vepaot Active Member

There's a "hack" to enable webtop mode on your phone, but getting the USB adapter would be tricky. You'd need a male microUSB to female USB adapter, then you'd have to get a USB hub/splitter. And with that, I don't know if you'd be able to charge your phone while doing that.
  8. mlo0352

mlo0352 New Member

Mice I just ordered both of these things on ebay the other day in anticipation of trying to do this. It looks like with the razr plugging it into HDMI will enable the web top mode.
  9. bufordpisser

bufordpisser New Member

I have the lapdock and i love it. Works great for me and o am an on the go security analyst. Most of the negative reviews i have seen are from people trying to do things that it was not designed to do like gaming.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  10. mlo0352

mlo0352 New Member

It sounds great, but it's really expensive. And going with the openness of the Android platform, I don't believe I should be locked into using their hardware to access the features of my phone. So I'm looking into low cost (albeit not as fancy looking) alternatives to achieve similar functionality. :)
  11. bufordpisser

bufordpisser New Member

I hear you. And it is expensive. But you would not put volkswagon pistons in a corvette. And your alternatives are at best a trade off. But if the functionality that you want is there go for it. I like to experiment also and find low cost alternatives. I just can't accept trade off in functionality for the savings of a few dollars.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums
  12. rockaholic112

rockaholic112 New Member

I've been searching, but nothing so far. Does anyone know how I can use a macbook pro or imac as the display? I don't need to mod anything, I can just buy the hd dock. That said, I don't have a monitor and can't find any portable ones (on the go is important) My school doesn't have wifi, not to mention the webtop on razr ics is EPIC. If anyone can help, I'd really appreciate it :biggrin:
Search tags for this page
alternative lapdock
alternatives to lapdock
alternativeto lapdock
droid razr lapdock alternative

lapdock alternative

lapdock alternatives

lapdock alternatves
lapdock at wallmart

motorola lapdock alternative

similar to lapdock