All app shortcuts disappear, left only with home screen

ciscoheat

Reaction score
So, I'm having an odd problem that I can't really find anyone else finding. My droid appears to lose all its app and widget shortcuts, leaving nothing but the background. During this time, I can use the phone perfectly fine (all functions appear to work) including adding app and widget shortcuts. If I power down the phone and start it back up, it resorts back to my original "home screen."

So...when does it happen? Well, when I put it on my multimedia dock (which obviously changes the home state). It doesn't always happen, but enough that its extremely annoying. Since its a built in program, I'm not sure what to do. I might download "dock control" though to see if I can avoid the annoyance with it. I'll try my wife's phone as well, but I highly doubt this is a dock problem, as I'm sure the magnets aren't causing the problem but rather the program going into that mode which is most likely specific to a glitch on my phone. Anyway, is anyone else having this problem? Not sure if this is related, but I never had the problem (had the dock since Christmas 2009) until 2.1 rolled out.

cinematicmatt

Reaction score
i only had this problem when i installed handcent... it's weird, i know, but that's the only time that i've had this problem...

to get them back, go to menu>settings>applications>manage applications>menu>filter>running>home>force stop

i can only make the comparison to mac, where you sometimes have to restart the finder to get something to refresh.. this has worked for me when i had this problem, but also uninstalling handcent did away with it permanently for me too....

OP
C

ciscoheat

Reaction score
Hmm...I will try the forcestop option though...as that alone will still take less time then restarting. I don't have the docking station with me now, but I'll report what I find. I had recently added the program qik (which is great by the way) right around that time as well. I'll try to investigate. Its hard to troubleshoot though as its not as consistent as one would think. Anyway, thanks for the pointer!!

mrbrando3

Reaction score
Temporary solution

:greendroid: I am having the same problem with my Mytouch 4g phone for t-mobile. The widgets on all 7 homescreens (yes I increased from 5 to 7) disappear randomly. You can turn off the phone/reset the phone and the widgets come back momentarily but then disappear again.

Temp Solution: Take your micro sd memory card out of the phone and all widgets should reappear and stay on their respective screens as normal, if not at first then restart your phone.. This indicates that a bad program or bad update has been installed onto the SD memory card which is causing the problem.... This is as far as my solution goes. From here you need to decide which programs are worth keeping and if you want to reset the memory card.

Hope this has been of assistance! :greendroid:

WickedStepMom

Reaction score
I have a Samsung Galaxy s5 and had the same problems. This is what I found corrected my problem:

This problem sometimes occurs if the apps have been moved to the SD card.
Therefore, if you notice that those missing shortcuts are the apps that have been moved to the SD card, then try moving them back to the internal storage by using the following steps:
  • Go to Settings.
  • With the settings menu is displayed in grid view, scroll down to the Applications section and then tap "Application manager".
  • Swipe the screen from right to the left to see the "SD CARD" tab.
  • All apps that have been moved to the SD card will be check-marked.
  • Tap the app.
  • Tap "Move to device storage" button.
  • You can move another apps back to the internal storage by repeating from the step #4.
  • Now, try re-adding the icon to the Home screen.
  • Once done, turn off the device and then back on.