Alert Manager?

miles3w

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm a new Android user :)motdroidvert: Droid X2) and have been learning about the Android ecosystem. A smartphone is great since it gives you instantaneous access to all the wonderful communication services out there.

For myself, I'm using Corporate Email (Exchange), Gmail, Personal Email, Text messaging, phone, and voice mail. I know other users use Facebook and other social media sites.

The problem with all this communication, is my phone is constantly alerting me that I have a message. The human reaction to this (or at least mine) is constant checking of these messages or ignoring them.

So I need some way to differentiate all these messages by source as well as address/number. E.g. I want to have a high alert (different sound, volume and vibratation) from certain work emails, but medium alert from others.

I have tried "Notify Me" but that doesn't seem to work. I also have Suppressor Pro installed, which lets me switch notification styles based on sleeping, meetings, public places, etc. I have installed GO SMS Pro which at least lets me differentiate text messages from email. I also have K9 for personal email only (again differentiating that from Gmail and Exchange). But I have not found a product that will adjust alerts based on an email address (either personal, Gmail or Exchange).

At this point I have given up finding a universal "Alert Manager", but I would love to have at a minimum some kind of email address alert system for my Exchange mail. Touchdown may work, but from what I've seen it's expensive and not designed specifically to handle email address based alerts.

Does anyone have suggestions of what I can do? I've spent the past week searching through various forum boards without any sucess. Please help me.

Thanks everyone,

- Miles

OP
M

miles3w

Reaction score
Nobody deals with alerts?

Thanks,

- Miles

dgirl1010

Reaction score
I have this same question, but for the Thunderbolt. My phone is through my company, and I need to be able to receive high level alerts during my on-call rotations, but I don't want to be alerted for every other email that comes in, especially at night. I'm really shocked that I can't seem to find an app for that. :(

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
You don't need a separate app to differentiate notifications. It sounds like you've only set up the system notification. If you do that then, yes, all notifications will sound the same. Your apps have their own notification settings. Set up different notifications for each of your apps.

As for controlling which contacts actually generate notifications, it's really up to each app. Personally, I don't have any notifications enabled aside from messaging and specific email contacts. I have no need to be notified every single time someone does something on Facebook. I don't use IM. I don't need any other notifications. Nothing is that urgent for me. Obviously YMMV but you can manage alerts without requiring a technical solution.

Touchdown may work, but from what I've seen it's expensive and not designed specifically to handle email address based alerts.
Incorrect. Touchdown's rules will do exactly what you're looking for to set up email notifications for specific contacts. It's just one reason among many why I switched to Touchdown long ago. Just keep in mind that Touchdown is Exchange only.

Which is the lesser evil? Notifications the way you want or Touchdown's price? Have you looked into any other Exchange clients? Touchdown's not the only option. I can think of RoadSync and Moxier as well off the top of my head.

In any case, Touchdown has a trial that you can test out rather than just relying on what you read.

I have this same question, but for the Thunderbolt. My phone is through my company, and I need to be able to receive high level alerts during my on-call rotations, but I don't want to be alerted for every other email that comes in, especially at night. I'm really shocked that I can't seem to find an app for that. :(
Find an email app that supports that rather than a notifications app.

Last edited: