1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Notifications, Alerts, Ringtones, oh my...

Discussion in 'Android Applications' started by jtpryan, Mar 23, 2010.

1. jtpryan

jtpryan New Member

I'm trying to figure out the differences between these things. Ringtones are fairly clear, but alerts and notifications are not. I seem to have the same ones available to me no matter what.

Ultimately I am looking for a very subtle, low, "beep" when I get a corporate email and none of the ones that come with the phone are like that. They are all kind of annoying actually. I can find plenty of ringtones to download, but not a lot of simple, short, alert sounds. I did find some, but while I think I install them, nothing new appears on the list. I am using Touchdown for my exchange mail.

-Jim
  2. takeshi

takeshi New Member

That's because the notification sound goes off for just about everything except calls.

How are you downloading them? If it's through the Market I can't help you. If you're downloading audio files off the web (in a supported format) then you need to make sure that they are moved to a /notifications folder on your SD card.

In Touchdown, if you want a notification specific to Touchdown you need to enable it within Touchdown's settings. Make sure you select Custom Sound and specify the correct location. The default location is /system/media/audio/notifications. Your downloaded notifications will be in /sdcard/... /notifications (replace ... with whatever subfolders you choose to set up in between).
  3. jtpryan

jtpryan New Member

Thank you, that was a huge help. Now, I know this is silly, but where could I find a "Ping" sound out there? Everything is long and loud...

-Jim
  4. PhoenixGTR

PhoenixGTR New Member

You can edit sounds to whatever length with the Ringdroid app. Also, notification volume doesn't have to be the same as ringtone volume; there's a checkbox you can uncheck to adjust them separately.
    Have you managed to change the sound the Droid makes when it starts up and prepares your SD card? I'm still looking.
Search tags for this page

android difference between alert and notification

difference between alert tones and ringtones

difference between ringtone and alert tone

difference between ringtone and alerts

difference between ringtone and notification

touchdown jagaurs alert tone

what is the difference between a ringtone and an alert tone

what is the difference between alerts and ringtones on my ip
what is the difference between an alert tone and a ringtone
what is the difference between ring tone and alert tone
what is the difference between ringtone and alert tone