Notifications, Alerts, Ringtones, oh my...

jtpryan

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the differences between these things. Ringtones are fairly clear, but alerts and notifications are not. I seem to have the same ones available to me no matter what.

Ultimately I am looking for a very subtle, low, "beep" when I get a corporate email and none of the ones that come with the phone are like that. They are all kind of annoying actually. I can find plenty of ringtones to download, but not a lot of simple, short, alert sounds. I did find some, but while I think I install them, nothing new appears on the list. I am using Touchdown for my exchange mail.

-Jim

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out the differences between these things. Ringtones are fairly clear, but alerts and notifications are not.
That's because the notification sound goes off for just about everything except calls.

I can find plenty of ringtones to download, but not a lot of simple, short, alert sounds. I did find some, but while I think I install them, nothing new appears on the list. I am using Touchdown for my exchange mail.
How are you downloading them? If it's through the Market I can't help you. If you're downloading audio files off the web (in a supported format) then you need to make sure that they are moved to a /notifications folder on your SD card.

In Touchdown, if you want a notification specific to Touchdown you need to enable it within Touchdown's settings. Make sure you select Custom Sound and specify the correct location. The default location is /system/media/audio/notifications. Your downloaded notifications will be in /sdcard/... /notifications (replace ... with whatever subfolders you choose to set up in between).

OP
J

jtpryan

Reaction score
Thank you, that was a huge help. Now, I know this is silly, but where could I find a "Ping" sound out there? Everything is long and loud...

-Jim

PhoenixGTR

Reaction score
You can edit sounds to whatever length with the Ringdroid app. Also, notification volume doesn't have to be the same as ringtone volume; there's a checkbox you can uncheck to adjust them separately.
Have you managed to change the sound the Droid makes when it starts up and prepares your SD card? I'm still looking.