After i root... how to install 2.2?

twiy06

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got the Droid X today. I was rocking the regular droid since day one but never rooted.

I want to root to get the wifi hotspot.

So i have some questions:

1. After i root.. i hear u wont get OTA upgrade downloads automatically. So will i need to always update my own phone manually somehow?
  2. The skin or enhancements the Droid X has over the motor droid are really nice. Things just look much nicer. If i do a manual upgrade to 2.2 will i just have the basic look?
  3. If i wanted to root and upgrade to 2.2... where is the best place to get upgrades or roms. Is it this forum? Just google? Other forum? Other website?
  4. What is the rom you like the most and why?

Thanks so much for any help in advanced. I know i can be a good part of the community.. i just need to get the ball rolling.

Dxun

Reaction score
As far as i know rooting will not give you WIFI Hotspot. You will still have to pay for that service. WIFI Tether does however become available. Right now im running Flymans final release which i downloaded from Rom Manager, and i'm using 1 of 928's themes. I couldn't be happier with the way my phone is running. To be honest i would never even consider running a non rooted phone at this point.

Last edited:

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Hey guys,

I just got the Droid X today. I was rocking the regular droid since day one but never rooted.

I want to root to get the wifi hotspot.

So i have some questions:

1. After i root.. i hear u wont get OTA upgrade downloads automatically. So will i need to always update my own phone manually somehow?
  2. The skin or enhancements the Droid X has over the motor droid are really nice. Things just look much nicer. If i do a manual upgrade to 2.2 will i just have the basic look?
  3. If i wanted to root and upgrade to 2.2... where is the best place to get upgrades or roms. Is it this forum? Just google? Other forum? Other website?
  4. What is the rom you like the most and why?

Thanks so much for any help in advanced. I know i can be a good part of the community.. i just need to get the ball rolling.

root should be removed when u get the OTA..
what are u looking for in 2.2?
this forum or DxF or rootzwiki or rom manager will have all u need
i dont have a ROM on my DX..

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
I want 2.2 because when my Moto Droid went from 2.1 to 2.2 my battery got like 30% more life, 90% of all issues went away, lots of usability enhancements, and speeeeed.

I feel like even though i took two steps forward today by getting the droid X... i took 1 step back but going back to 2.1 yuck.

What is this rom manager i am hearing about?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
its on the market but you need root for it to work..

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
http://www.droidforums.net/forum/dr...ck-root-droid-1-droid-x-works-intended-2.html

What do you guys think of using an easy root program like this to root my droid x.

I really crindge at the under the hood iphone craziness i went through jailbreaking on numerous occasions.

I would love a simple root! :-D

If you dont think the easy root is good can someone tell me what the most current and most reliable method to root is?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i have a rooted thread in my sig (labeled ROOTED) that will do it

dont use easy click methods.. ive seen A LOT of issues with using that app so i do not recommend it

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
Where do i find 2.2 froyo for the droid x after i root it? In the rom manager?

BTW thanks so much for your help

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rom manager (free edition) will have the 2.2 for you.

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
So after i root... can i just always upgrade on my own and not ever rely on OTA?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
sorry i was making my own thread..

the ota should still come but if you install a recovery system it should block it..

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
Do you recommend that i backup the phone before rooting? and if so... what method or software should i use to do that?

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
rooting really isnt going to change your settings if you do it right. u can use mybackup pro if u really want though..

OP
T

twiy06

Reaction score
Hey...

So i finally got the courage and followed your guide and rooted my phone!

I downloaded barnacle and can get free wifi hotspot! horrah!

Now i badly need 2.2.

I downloaded and paid for rom manager premium.

And i cant see to get anything to work. I am first trying to backup my current rom.

It doesnt reboot into recovery mode. I googled how to do it and this is what i do.

I hold power and home buttons until moto logo. Then keep holding home until i see the loading bar. then i press Search and hold.

I get into recovery mode sometimes... and i see the following error at the bottom:

E: Cant open /cache/recovery/command

I feel like i cant find one complete place that explains the whole process. I am trying to figure this out piece by piece :(

I cant find a user guide for the rom manager.

What can i be missing?

Any feedback is appreciated. I have been sitting here for 4 hours reading and trying to get through this.

Abe21599

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
that error might just be because that directory doesnt exist. ive gotten it before too

2.2 will be on rom manager under stock images. make sure u have the bootstrap installed also to access rom manager.