Adding Up Unread SMS Messages

Ozoriah

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Droid
My Moto Z has been accumulating unread SMS messages through the default Message app and it's driving me crazy.

Every time I talk in a different conversation it adds another unread message to the notification counter even though there are no unread messages. It doesn't matter if it's a group text or to a single person, but each new conversation I enter does this.

I've tried a hard reboot, force stopping the app, and clearing the cache but none of them have worked and I'm not really sure where to go from here, help would be appreciated. All my phone and all of the apps are up-to-date.

Thanks.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
My Moto Z has been accumulating unread SMS messages through the default Message app and it's driving me crazy.

Every time I talk in a different conversation it adds another unread message to the notification counter even though there are no unread messages. It doesn't matter if it's a group text or to a single person, but each new conversation I enter does this.

I've tried a hard reboot, force stopping the app, and clearing the cache but none of them have worked and I'm not really sure where to go from here, help would be appreciated. All my phone and all of the apps are up-to-date.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum, by the way!

I am currently using app version 2.0.768, found it on APK Mirror, and that version does not have the unread count issue. Until Google pushes out a new app update that fixes the issue, you could either: 1.) live with it as-is until then, 2.) switch to the built in Message + app and use it until then (if you have a Droid model), 3.) use a different text app from the Play Store until Google pushes an update, 4.) install the app version I mentioned and do not update it until you see a fix listed in an app update on the Play Store. You tried all of the normal troubleshooting steps, as did I, and that unread count just will not clear with the current app version.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum.
Ditto what Sajo wrote.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4

<><