adb server is out of date. killing...

noodler

Reaction score
Hi all, I've been lurking for a bit but finally needed to create an account and ask a question.

I'm attempting to root my razr ICS 6.16.211 using the utility. I've tried 1.7 and 1.8, but they both give me a repetitive error.

*daemon started successfully*

etc.

It reboots my phone a couple times, keeps going through this error/daemon starting cycle several times, then just finishes with no root.

A few things to get out of the way: I installed the drivers included with 1.8, so I should be up to date. I'm in debugging mode, unknown sources is checked, and I'm connected as MTP.

I was rooted with gingerbread and can't wait to get those capabilities back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's a screen cap of what I'm getting. I used the 1.7 utility as an example, but I get the same with 1.8
adb.JPG

MattyP

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you just trying to root and that's it? There is a Matt's version 1.81 ... that one has the newest of everything and select the "Root ICS 4.0.4" option. Never seen that error ... the adb.exe is what it must be saying is out of date.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
try inputting "adb kill-server" in the command prompt before running it

Droid-Xer

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have adb.exe file in the directory you're running commands from?

OP
N

noodler

Reaction score
Are you just trying to root and that's it? There is a Matt's version 1.81 ... that one has the newest of everything and select the "Root ICS 4.0.4" option. Never seen that error ... the adb.exe is what it must be saying is out of date.

I also tried 1.81. Just to be clear, does 1.81 just involve replacing the .bat in 1.8? That's what it seemed like, so I might be off on that.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
You said you were rooted with GB, did you unroot before the ICS update?

How did you update to ICS, direct download from phone or install the zip manually?

You extracted the entire folder to its on directory on the C: drive correct and not running it from within the zip file?

OP
N

noodler

Reaction score
You said you were rooted with GB, did you unroot before the ICS update?

How did you update to ICS, direct download from phone or install the zip manually?

You extracted the entire folder to its on directory on the C: drive correct and not running it from within the zip file?

I had trouble updating to ICS, including uninstalling root necessary apps and temp unrooting, so I ended up doing a factory reset, then doing the system update through the phone (first to a GB update, then to ICS).

I unzipped the utilities and their respective folders into their own folders in my downloads folder, just because that's where the zips were. So in the case of 1.8, it was C:\Users\noodler\downloads\root8\

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
They recommend putting it on the root of the C: drive, but I am not sure that would help in this situation. I wonder if there is something in your system that is still hanging on to your old root.

A FDR does not necessarily remove your root completely, can you put up Task Manager and kill adb.exe and try it again?

OP
N

noodler

Reaction score
They recommend putting it on the root of the C: drive, but I am not sure that would help in this situation. I wonder if there is something in your system that is still hanging on to your old root.

A FDR does not necessarily remove your root completely, can you put up Task Manager and kill adb.exe and try it again?

I just tried running the utility with task manager running and ending the process. This didn't really seem to have any impact.

OP
N

noodler

Reaction score
Solution Found

In case anybody else should happen to run into this. I guess I somehow crossed some wires on my PC by downloading and having all these different root utilities. I tried 1.81 on a different computer and everything is working just fine.

:greendroid:

syndicate0017

Silver Member
Reaction score
Solution Found

In case anybody else should happen to run into this. I guess I somehow crossed some wires on my PC by downloading and having all these different root utilities. I tried 1.81 on a different computer and everything is working just fine.

:greendroid:

You probably could have downloaded the android sdk and then updated adb that way. I had to update adb the other day. On Linux its CD to android-sdk/tools then . /android update adb

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2