razrutility1.8 not working

hevm786

Reaction score
I tried to root my RAZR (4.0.4) a while ago using the 1.7 utility but there was an issue with the drivers and the utility would get stuck at "waiting for device". I was told that I would have to wait for a new utility and now that 1.8 is out, the problem persists. I tried to root again but it still wouldn't get past "waiting for device". I don't know what to do now and I really want to root my RAZR.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Assuming you've plugged the device in, have you changed the settings to USB Debugging (menu, system settings, developer options, USB debugging)? Also, once connected did you drop down the Status Bar and connect via USB Mass Storage?

Otherwise I can't say what's wrong.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
There is a new version 1.81 that has the updated drivers and a updated batch file for those that are still having problems even with the new drivers.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX.

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
Yes, I have USB debugging on and it is set as mtp, not mass storage. I have followed all the steps correctly but the problem is still there.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Yes, I have USB debugging on and it is set as mtp, not mass storage. I have followed all the steps correctly but the problem is still there.
Are you using 1.81, it has Moto drivers that are needed for the utility to correctly run. If you are using 1.8 or an earlier version you will get the "waiting for phone" message. Also, make sure you're using the usb cable that came with your razr...not all usb cables are "created equally".

OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
OK, I retried 1.8 with the original cable (I was using a HTC one before), still no luck. I'm downloading 1.81 and I'll try that. Thank you!

Update:

I tried 1.81 with the stock cable, I followed all of the instructions perfectly and it still doesn't get past waiting for device. This is getting annoying and I don't know what to do. I want to root my phone badly and have tried 1.7, 1.8 and 1.81 yet none of them work

Last edited:

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
OK, I retried 1.8 with the original cable (I was using a HTC one before), still no luck. I'm downloading 1.81 and I'll try that. Thank you!

Update:

I tried 1.81 with the stock cable, I followed all of the instructions perfectly and it still doesn't get past waiting for device. This is getting annoying and I don't know what to do. I want to root my phone badly and have tried 1.7, 1.8 and 1.81 yet none of them work
Ok, one question, did you extract the utility .zip file to your c:\\ or are you trying to run the .bat file from within the .zip file that you downloaded? You must extract the .zip file you download to your computer to your c:\\ (I recommend to its own folder) and run the utility's .bat file from there. If you are still unable to successfully run the utility, on you computer (I am assuming you have a Windows machine), go to control panel>Programs and Features and uninstall Motorola Device Manager. After uninstalling Motorola Device Manager, on your computer go to the folder you extracted the utility .zip to. Find the the "Drivers" folder and install the two drivers on your computer. After installing the drivers, run the .bat file, under Security in your phones settings make sure you have "unknown sources" selected, connect your phone to your computer using the supplied usb cable, usb debugging selected on phone and any usb connection type selected except Mass Storage. Give the computer and phone enough time to successfully recognize each other (10-15 seconds). Now, select option 2 in the utility. If this doesn't work then I am out of suggestions...good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Last edited:
OP
H

hevm786

Reaction score
By c// do you mean ANYWHERE on the c: drive. I extracted the files to the desktop. There is no problem with the utility or where its saved, it just won't recognize my phone. I'll give the uninstall and reinstall of the drivers a try and I'll tell you what happens. Thank you

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Make sure you have your phone connected as a media device.

Sent from my DROID RAZR Maxx using Droid Forums