Actual Gingerbread ROM for D1?

mthorn79

Reaction score
Are most GB Rom builds coming from the Nexus S system dumps or is someone actually have a D1 source their using to build a rom?

Just figured this is why people are having so many problems with certain things such as backlight, GPS or Gapps, etc. because its not really a D1 source but from Nexus S or wherever.

jr313

Reaction score
I dont think there is a Droid 1 source for gingerbread it wasnt intended for use on da OG Droid...they said it couldnt run it that it needed a certain amount of ram in order to run correctly...i could b wrong but thats how i took it with all the original threads on gingerbread and what phones would get it...so you have to bear wit devs as they are doin what they can to get it to other phones that werent on "The List" ....things r coming together tho theyre working their tales off to get it right...

Sent from my ADR6300 using DroidForums App

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well GB SDK was released. I don't think there will be an "official" D1 GB release in my opinion, but there are GB roms. UD 3.0 and Cyanogenmod both are built on GB. There are several that are Froyo with GB stuff, but those two are pure GB from what I have found. Cyanogenmod is having nightlies right now to try out and UD 3.0 has been out for a minute. Both have some minor issues, but for the most part are pretty stable and able to use as a daily set up from what I have seen.

jr313

Reaction score
U can only switch roms if you are rooted...then you can get sum early os release and extra goodies! Lol

Sent from a galaxy far far away

wctaylor79

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Yeah exactly.. they are both rooted. Ultimate Droid and Cyanogenmod are both very popular and very successful ROMs. Cyanogenmod is in my opinion the "Mother" of rooted phones and custom built ROMs. I personally use UD though. You will find many similarities with both, but I will spare you the details of UD and CM from back in the day, but they are both solid builds and have a solid dev team working with them.

If you are new to rooting phones I would personally start with like CM 6.1 to get used to working around the systems, and then you can work into the nightly builds. 6.1 is not GB, but what are you looking for in GB? If you are just looking for the "look" of GB then I would go with a solid Froyo/GB hybrid and theme it to GB. That way you won't have to deal with the beta builds and once the final release comes you will know how to navigate the custom recovery on the phone and how to run updates and stuff.