Question for Experienced Hackers @ Performing Full Factory Data Reset on OGDroid.

bigseksi66

Reaction score
I rooted my D1 about 2yrs ago. In that time, I've accumulated ALOT of junk on my phone. Myriad of different ROM"S, third party apps, bits and pieces of this and that....so much, that I honestly can't even remember what everything goes to. I just want to get rid of the junk and start over.

A couple months ago, I successfully followed a thread that I thought would accomplish this. The thread basically led me to believe I would be able to restore my D1 to stock config. with the most current OTA update. That was great, but, what I soon realized (after following the directions and rebooting) was that I was still rooted and had all the same stuff on my SD Card. It did change my D1 to an apparent stock theme, but, didn't change the phone to the degree of expectation I thought I understood it meant.

Ideally, I'd like to save all the current junk on my SDcard, but, save it separately on my laptop. Then, completely "wipe the phone clean" back to how it was setup when I first got it. Then, I could re-root my D1 and have the freedom to choose what items saved on my laptop I'd like to replace on my newly re-rooted D1.

Here's the rub....its been a little while since I really attempted something like this and I am a cautious amateur hacker. I don't want to screw it up. That's a large reason why I haven't gone in and tried to "cherry pick" the items on my SDcard; due to an uncertainty of which files are essential.

I am posting this in the hopes that someone that knows alot more about this than me (but understands what I am trying to do) will help me achieve my goal.

This is what I'm currently running on: (a bit dated, I know :p)

Android Version: 2.2
Baseband Version: C_01.43.01P
Kernel Version: 2.6.32.9-sapphire
Build Number: FRG01B
Mod/Rom Version: Sapphire-1.0.0-Droid

Thanks for helping. Cuz, I really luv my D1. :D

skruid

Reaction score
Sbf isvthe only way to get your phone completely stock

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
B

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Thanks for the speedy responses! I'll definitely give it a shot.

You know, Verizon has been calling me several times over the past few weeks making sure I know that I'm eligible for "upgrade". They've really been trying to "sell me" on this new stuff coming out. Not knocking 4G or anything.....but, man......there is just something about the OGDroid.....I'm just not willing to give it up yet. Maybe its because of the beautiful freedoms that we share in being able to do so many different things with it....I'm afraid in upgrading I'll lose some of those freedoms.

Thanks again, for helping me catch back up. I haven't really been keeping up. Any suggestions for current ROM's I might explore?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Peace.

jcardona1

Reaction score
No problem. My phone was a total POS before I did this. FCs all the time, super laggy, I hated the phone. After doing this, it's running great. I'm actually on the Liquid ROM right now, good stuff. The last one I used before that was Project Elite, which was also decent. Liquid has been working great for me so I don't think I'll be switching for now. It's a good idea to do the SBF method each time you flash a new ROM. A bit of a pain to do, but it really does give the best performance.

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
SBF wont touch the SDCard. You'll have to format that yourself on a PC or on the device itself (there is an option to format - but you have to unmount it first).

spooner2007

Reaction score
Sbf the fone... hit menu... settings... privacy... or security... then data reset... itt should ask if u wanna erase ur phone and ur sd card... u keep root too but erases everything... keep what u want first of course!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

OP
B

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Billy,
I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying. I appreciate your response, but, now I'm confused. One, I'm directed to flash Sbf...then I'm told Sbf won't touch SDcard..and, yet another says simply perform Factory Reset in Settings menu.

So, if I understand correctly, I should select "Unmount SDcard" option in my SDcard & Phone Storage Settings menu and then, once done, follow that with the "Format SDcard" option?

If so, once the device informs me the SDcard is successfully unmounted, do I then need to physically remove the card from the phone? If so, that makes no sense to me.

Just need some further clarification.

Thanks

jcardona1

Reaction score
Billy,
I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying. I appreciate your response, but, now I'm confused. One, I'm directed to flash Sbf...then I'm told Sbf won't touch SDcard..and, yet another says simply perform Factory Reset in Settings menu.

So, if I understand correctly, I should select "Unmount SDcard" option in my SDcard & Phone Storage Settings menu and then, once done, follow that with the "Format SDcard" option?

If so, once the device informs me the SDcard is successfully unmounted, do I then need to physically remove the card from the phone? If so, that makes no sense to me.

Just need some further clarification.

Thanks

Flashing, wiping, factory resets, etc won't touch your SD card. That stays as it is. The method I described wipes the inside of the phone. Think of it as installing a fresh Windows OS on a PC. It will be like the day you bought it. To wipe your SD card, go into Menu-Settings-Strorage-Erase SD Card.

As for doing a factory reset....the only true way to wipe the phone and make it clean and stock like the day you first powered it on is with the SBF method I linked. Doing a factory reset only erases user data. The phone could still be full of software bugs. Do the SBF method. Trust me, you'll love your phone after that, unless you have actual HARDWARE problems.

skruid

Reaction score
Sbf is the only way to get of root, you don't have to do anything with sdcard when sbfing, this process does not do anything at all to sdcard, trust me I have sbfed my d2g like 4 or 5 times now and it has never erased or formatted my sdcard, factory reset will not get rid of root or custom recovery, if you want to go back to stock then sbf the phone, when I sbf my droid 2 global it is like when you take the phone out of the box day one

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

OP
B

bigseksi66

Reaction score
Alright, thanks guyz. I'm going to go ahead and try it.

I just wanted to double check.

Peace.

rubiksc00p

Reaction score
Somewhere on this amazing ball of creation!
Just to clarify... Jcardona has been right on. SBF back to stock with rsd. Don't go in thought the phone for factory reset, not the same thing. The SD will need to be wiped on it's own! Just copy the stuff from the sd over to the computer then wipe it.

Swyped and sent through the interwebz directly to you from somewhere and some device that doesn't concern you!

billygalbreath

Developer
Reaction score
...I should select "Unmount SDcard" option in my SDcard & Phone Storage Settings menu and then, once done, follow that with the "Format SDcard" option?
Yes, this will erase everything on your SDCard. I suggest doing this AFTER you are finally back to stock ROM.

No. You don't need to remove the SDCard at all. Unmounting is not the same thing as Ejecting.

Further clarification:

There are 3 parts to storage on your device (for the most part). System, Data, and SDCard. In order to get back to stock 100% completely you'll need to restore stock back onto System and make sure your Data and SDCard are wiped completely.

System is where the Operating system (Android) lives.

Data is the internal memory of your configurations, installed apps, etc.

SDCard is external memory for more configurations, pictures, music, etc.

An SBF flash will replace System and Data for you, but you will stil need to format the SDCard to wipe it (after backing up your pictures and important stuff to your computer), manually. Once the SDCard is formatted (after you're back to stock) just reboot and the device will repopulate the SDCard with the default data that's supposed to be on it.

:)

P.S. Sorry for such a late reply.