Activation question

Hugg727

Reaction score
This will be my first Android phone and, obviously my first LTE device. Is the activation process any different than that of the older phones. Because its a Nexus device I would prefer it if the store techs never touch my phone. I use backup assistant so my contact will port over when I setup the GN on it.

When I go to pick up my phone I would rather just have them hand me the phone , a 4G sim card and walk out the door. When I get home call customer service and activate it on my own.

sbenson

Silver Member
Reaction score
You'll be fine. Get your phone, go out to your car and pop the battery and sim card in the back. Boot up the phone and dial *228, option 1. You're good to go. Enjoy.

Jamar

Reaction score
I was just thinking about this. I hate when the reps open the box and activate the phone for me. I'd much rather just take the unopened box and pretend I'm Aaron from PhoneDog at home and host my own little unboxing event.:icon_ banana:

I guess I'll just tell whoever is helping me to keep their hands off.

OP
H

Hugg727

Reaction score
You'll be fine. Get your phone, go out to your car and pop the battery and sim card in the back. Boot up the phone and dial *228, option 1. You're good to go. Enjoy.

Thanks, its what I expected but I wanted to be sure. My last phone was preordered, delivered to me the day after release and activated over the phone. I hate going to the VZW stores, you never get out of there in less that an hour. I equate the experience to going to DMV years ago before the internet... you would literally have to pack a lunch and stay all day......in misery!!

kwatch

Reaction score
Do NOT dial *228. This is not a 3g phone and has a self activating sim card. Do not dial *228 or you could ruin the sim and have to get a new one

KaosMcRage

Reaction score
Do NOT dial *228. This is not a 3g phone and has a self activating sim card. Do not dial *228 or you could ruin the sim and have to get a new one
Do you have a link to some documentation on that?

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
*NO 228, your sim card will have your info on it and it will self activate. Just put the sim in and turn the phone on.

mikeinctown

Reaction score
FWIW most places will activate the phone while you stand there. They open it up and record all the info from the phone such as S/N and ID numbers and then pop the battery and card in and activate it. they don't install anything or touch it in any other way.

Jamar

Reaction score
FWIW most places will activate the phone while you stand there. They open it up and record all the info from the phone such as S/N and ID numbers and then pop the battery and card in and activate it. they don't install anything or touch it in any other way.
That's a problem for me. I find joy in booting up the phone for the first time.

wolstonc

Reaction score
*228 can fry sim cards. Do not do it. You insert the sim and pretty much wait for it. I used to be the guy you get when u dial *228 and it doesn't work, so I know ;)

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
That's a problem for me. I find joy in booting up the phone for the first time.

Ha.. ha..

"Excuse me sir, but would you mind if I put the battery in and boot her up.."

Or.....

In your best Tackleberry voice (police academy) " STEP AWAY FROM THE PHONE, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO TOUCH, GRAB OR EVEN BREATH ON IT"
Thank you
Have a nice day

posted tomorrow using the space time continuum app on my D1...

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
Ha.. ha..

Or.....

In your best Tackleberry voice (police academy) " STEP AWAY FROM THE PHONE, DO NOT EVEN ATTEMPT TO TOUCH, GRAB OR EVEN BREATH ON IT"
Thank you
Have a nice day

Or " BACK AWAY FROM THE NEXUS VZW SCUM"! :D

Cbass057

Reaction score
I spoke with Verizon Corporate and made an appointment for Friday at 9:00am, will that get me a Nexus or should I try to preorder...hmmmm...

Ricocht77

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Xperia Z3v
I'm liking this just for the Tackleberry reference, good movies, good times :)

Ha.. ha..

Or.....

Thank you
Have a nice day