AC charger high pitch noise

Big Ry

Reaction score
I just came home and notice an extremely faint and extremely high pitch noise coming from my GNs AC charger. Its a constant high frequency tone. I keep my charger plugged in at all times (if that makes a difference). Anyone else notice this?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Nobody else has had this issue? :/

rhinosaurus

Reaction score
I have this issue as well. Extremely annoying. I'm not with verizon, but this is the only thread I found on this anywhere at the moment.

Anyway, this frequency is actually disrupting my sleep every hour or so, which is irritating, since you know, sleep.

tituswife

Reaction score
Maybe it's your house wiring?

Sent from my stock Thunderbolt

[email protected]

Reaction score
High pitched noise.

When you leave a charger plugged in without the phone, you do get a high pitched noise. I just unplugged it. Saves energy too they say.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Maybe it's your house wiring?

doubtful. I tried another outlet where other items were plugged in (and didnt make noise). It still continued. My apartment is built like crap, but I think electrical standards are pretty strict, aren't they?

tituswife

Reaction score
Could be the chargers are malfunctioning. Call the manufacturer or cell provider.

-iD

Reaction score
mine does too. I'll check if it goes away when I plug the phone in.

Snow02

Reaction score
It's normal. Don't worry about it. When you grow up you won't be able to hear in that range anyways.

Foiz5000

Reaction score
My charger does this as well, not all the time though. It's very similar to when a CRT monitor has a bad flyback transformer and makes a high pitch noise. I actually thought my monitor was going bad and making the noise since I couldn't pin point the origin of the sound, but being an LCD it made no sense to be that. Seems to be when it's been charging for a while, like over night.

Waking up in the middle of the night and unplugging it will shut it up, but it's hardly a ideal solution.

It's normal. Don't worry about it. When you grow up you won't be able to hear in that range anyways.

Sorry, but that's bull, I'm 30, turning 31 in a few days and I hear the noise quite loudly. It is not normal, because no similar electronics do this and it is not designed as a device to make audible sounds..

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Yeah I'm 27 and have been seriously dedicated to car audio for a decade. I have a rather loud setup in my accord that has definitely caused some hearing damage, and I can clearly hear the noise when theres no TV or anything on.

Snow02

Reaction score
Yeah. It's not that high pitched. You're right. It's apparently most likely the transformer lamination. Open it up and try some hot glue if you see it's come loose anywhere, or get a new charger.

OP
Big Ry

Big Ry

Reaction score
Well considering its basically brand new, it should be under warranty right? I'd rather exchange it than risk voiding the warranty by fixing it myself. Does anyone know how to go about exchanging accessories that came with a phone?