A week with the Bionic - Impartial Review

Discussion in 'Motorola Droid Bionic' started by JaCelica2k, Sep 15, 2011.

1. pastor_rob

pastor_rob New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    I was considering getting a Bionic ... and this review and its posts have really helped me out. Once again DF comes through ... great post and thanks for your unbiased review!!! dancedroid

Peace

2. Shadez

Shadez Super Mod/News Team
    Staff Member Premium Member

Ratings:
    +211
    Current Phone Model:
    HTC One M8
    Twitter:
    @Shadez69
    So what did you decide? :)

3. unbesorgt

unbesorgt Member

Ratings:
    +4
    A thoughtful and fair review. Good job. dancedroid

I wanted to comment on the confusion around the PenTile display in the overall thread. What some refer to as "pixelation" is actually something a bit different. PenTile technology uses 2/3 the number of subpixels to render each pixel, which saves power while also producing a brighter screen. What people call the "screen door" effect or "pixelation" is actually pattern visibility. In certain color combinations the patterns created by the subpixels become visible -- green on black is a common one, which you can see in the battery indicator of the notification bar. Some people are distracted or annoyed by the patterns, while others can hardly see them or just ignore them. Personally after using the beautifully crisp OG Droid screen for almost 2 years, I was afraid the PenTile screen would put me off the Bionic after reading about it. However, after seeing it firsthand in the store and now after a week of owning it, I can say it doesn't bother me one bit. I can sometimes see the patterns but they don't distract me, I basically just "look through them" and they disappear. For some people though, it's so annoying as to be a dealbreaker. I would highly recommend for anyone considering the Bionic to take a look at one in person before deciding. It's highly subjective.

One thing I am sure of though is the power savings. On my OG Droid, Display was always #1 in the Battery Usage Stats screen, often as high as 90% of total battery life. On the Bionic this is reversed, with Display only using about 10% of battery life. Of course, this is offset by other power-hungry components (4G radio, I'm looking at you) so overall battery life is in the same ballpark (although I'm still getting somewhat better battery life I did with my OG Droid).

• Like Like x 1
  4. SSHGuru

SSHGuru Silver Member

Ratings:
    +30
    I don't have a problem with the Pentile Display at all. I don't notice it ever. I think the screen looks terrific.

My OG Droid battery was lasting very little at the end there and this Bionic can last all day. Even so when I'm down to 60% I plug it in - I have the plugs everywhere so why not keep charged. I have yet to have it run out of juice.

The camera takes some great pics but it's not perfect. It's more than good enough for me.

The Video Camera is second to none.

Love the Moto Blur widgets. I've become accustomed to the bottom 4 and I agree the one that opens the apps on the right should have a different look - I still get confused sometimes.

Overall I can easily live with the Bionic for the next two years. It's blazing fast and does everything I want it to do.

5. N2Wind

N2Wind New Member

Ratings:
    +0
    My screen looks like that when the display is off and the phone is in bright light. I have no problems when the display is on.

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Member

Ratings:
    +0
    Ha! I even read that iFixit article before I bought the Bionic, and totally missed that. Oh well. The reason I thought it was a speaker was of course the grille, but also because the "other" speaker didn't seem to be very loud. I assumed the low volume was a result of only a 50% audio output.

The 3G radio in the Bionic is far better than my OG, and so is the battery life.

I do miss the Bionic a little, but I think I made the right decision based on my personal wants/needs in my next smartphone.

*customized tapatalk signature*

7. JaCelica2k

JaCelica2k Member

Ratings:
    +1
    I will definitely miss the Bionic......but honestly with the Bionic there are some things I miss about my OG Droid....Don't think I should.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

8. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Member

Ratings:
    +5
    i took mine back after less than a week and got a Droid Incredible 2 off craigslist (and normally i am a moto guy) I have it rooted and running a custom sense 3.5 rom and to be honest it's just as "snappy" as my bionic was and IMO the camera and screen are better.. I can honestly say that i don't miss my bionic at all, now I am waiting for something else to try out...

Hopefully whatever the Moto Droid HD turns out to be will be a phone i can love...

9. JaCelica2k

JaCelica2k Member

Ratings:
    +1
    Not a bad idea.....I just kind of hate to pay a couple hundred dollars for a phone now just to replace it in a couple months...

10. tgyberg

tgyberg Silver Member

Ratings:
    +343
    Current Phone Model:
    Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
    ^Actually, you could resell the phone in a couple months and probably recover most of what you would pay.

11. lazarus2297

lazarus2297 Member

Ratings:
    +5

my thoughts and plan exactly

12. Stormy Knight

Stormy Knight Member

Ratings:
    +4
    This is what I saw on the DX2 display model. I was really hoping that the Bionic's display would be better than the DX2's, but they share the same display as well. I also saw fuzzy text (black on white background) while surfing whild holding the DX2 from 12"-18" away from my face. Distracting and unbearable. I wish it looked fine for me like it does for others.

Search tags for this page

reviews bionicgrass