A way to block ICS when it is ready?

heath223

Reaction score
When ICS is ready and starts getting pushed to the Bionic(IF it ever happens) would there be a way to block it? I ask B/C say they get the data drop fixed before that happens, at this time the data drop is my only gripe with my Bionic. I would hate to upgrade to ICS and have it have other issues. I would rather go without ICS for a while and let others find the bugs and wait till they are fixed first.

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
:popped out::shocked-b::serious: surely there will be a way, but I don't see the Bionic getting ICS until March - even though January has been thrown around

Scribble

Reaction score
I believe if you root your phone it takes you off the OTA upgrade path.

Reaction score
Id take the ota for ics. To stop all that bloatware from being on ur phone.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

RacingTiger03

Reaction score
if Moto's track record proves solid... add at LEAST 2 months to whatever date moto estimates the ICS to be released. OTA... Bionic... etc :p

that said, I'm sure the devs will come out with something to get rid of that pesky notification. On the D1 pete made a script to stop it from giving you the OTA notification. Also, from what I've been reading the idea is ICS will play much better with the mobile world than what GB did. while optimizing many things gingerbread also created a lot of issues, most of which were later resolved, so I get where you're coming from. Supposedly that isn't going to be the case with ICS... we shall see.

Last edited:

wseyller

Reaction score
if Moto's track record proves solid... add at LEAST 2 months to whatever date moto estimates the ICS to be released. OTA... Bionic... etc :p

that said, I'm sure the devs will come out with something to get rid of that pesky notification. On the D1 pete made a script to stop it from giving you the OTA notification. Also, from what I've been reading the idea is ICS will play much better with the mobile world than what GB did. while optimizing many things gingerbread also created a lot of issues, most of which were later resolved, so I get where you're coming from. Supposedly that isn't going to be the case with ICS... we shall see.

I remember doing it manually on the D1 by modifying the build.prop file. Essentially make the phone think it has the latest version.

tgyberg

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 2XL & Pixel C
I also think ICS is a ways away yet but you can root your phone and use Titanium Back Up Pro to freeze the updater. That should do the trick! I'm sure there will be a pre release ICS leak that is pre rooted and flashable so you can try it out. And if it's crap, just SBF back to GB.

Scribble

Reaction score
Rooting alone is not enough to keep your phone from allowing an OTA.

Really? That's the main reason I've never rooted: everything I read says when you root you won't get the OTAs anymore... Are you saying I've been unrooted all this time for no reason? :( whaaaa

wseyller

Reaction score
Really? That's the main reason I've never rooted: everything I read says when you root you won't get the OTAs anymore... Are you saying I've been unrooted all this time for no reason? :( whaaaa

Yes really. You can even install the OTA after rooting and your software will be updated and you will lose root. This is considering you don't remove or freeze any stock apps. If you remove or freeze any stock apps the update will fail when you try to install it. You would have to restore any stock apps before the ota will allow installation.