A question about world phones...

bd1212

Reaction score
Didn't know where to put this, but I've been wondering this for a while... the HTC Merge is expected to be released on the 11th of November as a world phone. I really want this, but I rarely travel. Do I need to pay extra if I get this phone when its released since its a world phone? Thanks in advance.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

timlaw27

Reaction score
I would imagine there is some type of Fee to make calls overseas. When I was traveling in Asia last month there was a $60 per month fee to roam on 3G overseas(This replaces your current $30 plan). Prices may differ in various regions. Verizon will pro-rate all charges when you activate/deactivate.

OP
bd1212

bd1212

Reaction score
I would imagine there is some type of Fee to make calls overseas. When I was traveling in Asia last month there was a $60 per month fee to roam on 3G overseas(This replaces your current $30 plan). Prices may differ in various regions. Verizon will pro-rate all charges when you activate/deactivate.

Problem is, I'm 15 and don't travel overseas lol. I just am planning on getting a Merge for the excellent keyboard it has, but I want to know if it being a world phone would place extra fees on my phone bill?

R

RETG

Device might cost more, depends on how Verizon prices it. There is added circuitry for GSM and a SIM card. Blackberries, that are global don't really cost more, but all Blackberries (I know of) are global so that might be a consideration to their pricing.

As for service costs. You only pay for global when outside the USA. They offer some pricing plans for traveling in Europe. But if you remain in the USA, there is no additional service costs.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score

Problem is, I'm 15 and don't travel overseas lol. I just am planning on getting a Merge for the excellent keyboard it has, but I want to know if it being a world phone would place extra fees on my phone bill?

No. You pay the same. Blackberry is a world phone too and there was no additional charge for that.

sc4fpse

Reaction score

I highly doubt it. Verizon really hasn't had a phone go over $200 ($300 before rebate) lately, and I can't imagine that the Merge would be any exception. And when you consider that it has Bing on it, it makes it even less likely that there would be an extra fee for it. Bing is reserved for medium- and low-level Android smartphones. The Merge isn't being sold as a high-level Droid-like device, so even with the GSM radio, it's unlikely that you'll see prices any higher than any phone from the Droid line.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Blackberries, that are global don't really cost more, but all Blackberries (I know of) are global so that might be a consideration to their pricing.
Not all are. The 9670 & 9330 are not. There are certainly many older models that are not.