A question about Factory Reset...

Raven1155

Reaction score
Okay, I have System version 6.16.215.XT912.Verizon.en.us on my Razr Maxx, which means that I will have to go back to version .211 before I can get the JB OTA update (WHENEVER it finally comes out). I am confused, however, by something in FoxKat's instructions for doing this...

In step 13, after flashing the .211 file back onto the phone, he says that I don't HAVE to erase the user-installed apps or my personal data! Obviously, I'd love it if that is true, since I wouldn't need to re-install all my apps, pictures, data, etc.!

Could someone please tell me if this is truly the case, can I really reset back to the stock .211, so that I can get the JB OTA update, WITHOUT erasing all the existing stuff on my phone?!?!

Thanks in advance for any and all help here!

Last edited:

doniago

Reaction score
It is really the case, though for optimum performance I'd recommend a Factory Reset in any case. If you use Titanium Backup it's mostly a breeze to get all your stuff back afterwards in any case; the biggest headache is reinstating your system settings.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
Thanks, but this just adds to my confusion... Are you saying that it's not a "Factory Reset" if I don't delete the apps and data?

Oh, also, Titanium Backup it's only for rooted phones, isn't it? I'm not rooted and I don't really plan to be.

Thanks for helping!
- Jim 8^)

cybertj.2000

Reaction score
Factory reset erases everything and makes it like it was out of the box, but with ics installed.

We are the Droid!! You will be assimilated!! Resistance is futile!!

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

doniago

Reaction score
Thanks, but this just adds to my confusion... Are you saying that it's not a "Factory Reset" if I don't delete the apps and data?

Oh, also, Titanium Backup it's only for rooted phones, isn't it? I'm not rooted and I don't really plan to be.

Thanks for helping!
- Jim 8^)

As mentioned above, a Factory Reset will delete your apps and data stored on your phone (not on the SD). That's why it's called a Factory Reset; it restores your phone to "just out of the factory" condition.

TiBU is only for rooted phones, yes. Frankly I'd root my phone just to have it. It saves apps and data to your SD, so if you do an FDR all you need to do is reinstall TiBU and start the restore.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
TiBU is only for rooted phones, yes. Frankly I'd root my phone just to have it. It saves apps and data to your SD, so if you do an FDR all you need to do is reinstall TiBU and start the restore.

I appreciate the responses, though I have to admit that I still don't understand why we are given the option to NOT erase everything (in the instructions about rolling back to .211) if it's basically required, or at least recommended, to do so...

The idea of rooting scares me, to be honest. At the very least, I can't see doing it until after Verizon and/or Motorola sends out the OTA JB upgrade. Even after that, I'm not sure if the advantages of rooting outweigh the risk of bricking my phone or being cut off by Verizon for having rooted. My problem, I suppose...

Thanks again for your help!

- Jim 8^)

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
I appreciate the responses, though I have to admit that I still don't understand why we are given the option to NOT erase everything (in the instructions about rolling back to .211) if it's basically required, or at least recommended, to do so...

The idea of rooting scares me, to be honest. At the very least, I can't see doing it until after Verizon and/or Motorola sends out the OTA JB upgrade. Even after that, I'm not sure if the advantages of rooting outweigh the risk of bricking my phone or being cut off by Verizon for having rooted. My problem, I suppose...

Thanks again for your help!

- Jim 8^)
I think you have the solution/answer to your concern...if you're scared then don't root. I think it wise to wait for the official OTA update to JB, but you will have to restore your phone from .215 back to .211 as you have discussed earlier...using the RazrUtility. Doing a factory reset after that process (restoring to .211) is recommended...not required...just recommended. Many users do a factory reset prior to taking an OTA update and one immediately after a OTA update. The factory reset, although a PITA, is the best way to clean out all the "trash" that can accumulate in your phone over time...particularly if you have downloaded and installed and then uninstalled ROMs, apps etc.

OP
R

Raven1155

Reaction score
The factory reset, although a PITA, is the best way to clean out all the "trash" that can accumulate in your phone over time...particularly if you have downloaded and installed and then uninstalled ROMs, apps etc.

Thank you very much, you've been most helpful!

- Jim 8^)

jaseman

Reaction score
I keep reading that we must go back to .211 from .215 (which is installed on the pohone in question) in order to receive the OTA. How do we know that this is the case unless someone has already experienced NO OTA because they had .215 on their phone? Did someone then go back to .211 and then receive the OTA? I've read everything I could find on the subject and have yet to see any convincing evidence that we must go back to .211...unless of course I've missed some piece of clear documentation to this effect. Any help would be appreciated as I would prefer to NOT have to go back to .211 unless it's absolutely necessary. I suppose if by the end of March I still do not get the OTA that this would clearly show that a return to .211 is necessary.

doniago

Reaction score
Fair enough argument I suppose, but I don't see why going back to .211 would be such a big deal...you're only on it for about 10 seconds before you upgrade to JB.

I think .215 ended up being off the official upgrade path (it was never an OTA), which is why you can't go from .215 to JB, but I'm not an expert on the matter.

dollarbang

Reaction score
Another question on FDR....if you are having hardware issues with your phone (ie...constant reboot) and the Volume UP/DOWN and Power UP fails to engage.

Can the Droid RAZR be FDR from a PC? If so, How?