A little dilemma... help needed

OP
C

CKyle22

Reaction score
Oooo, canceling 3 contracts, doesn't that add up to a lot with ETF's? Or will the manager wave those as well.
No, it's only one contract. With 4 lines. We're dropping 3 of them. The one contract we have is still active since it has one line that remains unchanged. Then we add 3 more as new.

ldimick

Reaction score
I wonder what would happen if you added 4 new lines, switched the numbers to the droids, and then canceled the new lines in a month? They will try to hit you for $300-350 for the droids but since they are still in service they might charge you the other line termination costs. The advantage is that you can keep your existing phone numbers.

ldimick

Reaction score
One other thing to consider is that some carriers (I know AT&T does this) sets quotas for their in store reps for new monthly sign ups. You may have better luck finding a store manager willing to help you get a deal near the end of January after the Christmas rush has ended and the sales numbers are slowing down a bit.

Reaction score
My family has a family plan. Mom, dad, sister, me. We don't have Droids. We all want Droids. 3 of the 4 lines aren't eligible for an upgrade. What do we do?

The Verizon Store guy said we'd have to cancel all our lines, then buy the phone at full retail, THEN pay for a plan, THEN add data. That comes out to (500x4) = 2000, plus 200 for a 1400 minute plan with all the txting stuff, then $120 for our data plans.

That's a little ridiculous, especially since Verizon offered me an early upgrade to the Droid in the mail (which I lost... :( )

What can I do guys?

The Dell Mobility store sells Droids. It is a tangled web. As I understand it,..If the primary phone on a family plan is eligible for an upgrade then you can get all phones through the dell mobility store,.. (for a sale price of $119.00 - $150 each) the plan change MUST go through a third party, (which uses Verizon) and you are contractually obligated for a period of time to the third party, until the contract rolls into a Verizon only contract.

Good Luck,...

OP
C

CKyle22

Reaction score
Or..cancel your plan..and start a new one and then buy them on add a line price..aka $200 each
Right but wouldn't that result in early termination fees?
It's cheaper than $2000...
That's true, but if we drop 3 lines then we wouldn't be terminating anything. Just dropping 3 lines. That's why this seemed like the better option.

For what it's worth, mom is the account holder, and dad is the one who is eligible for an upgrade.

jahtv98

Reaction score
Ckyle, not too sure how Verizon will let you upgrade 3 lines early. Even adding that much data, you are still breaking your contract early. But like some people here said, if you find a manager that's willing to take a hit and let's you upgrade early all lines then you are in luck. Then again, that's about $120 of data revenue for VZW. Good LUCK!

OP
C

CKyle22

Reaction score
Hahaha this kicks @$$. We went to a Verizon store, explained what we wanted. When we told them we were just gonna leave and sign up new with Droids they thought we were nuts, so they let us ALL UPGRADE EARLY and the Verizon Store guy is ordering our Droids for us as I type this. He's switching us to a lower minute plan so the $120 for data won't be such a big hit.

I've never had such a good experience with any company like that ever in my life.

And, I get to keep my number! :D

Graffin

Reaction score
I've never had such a good experience with any company like that ever in my life.

I've been with Verizon for years and I have nothing but good things to say about them. The day they called me to let me know I could switch plans because I wasn't using all my minutes, I was sold. How many companies call you and tell you how to spend less money with them?

OP
C

CKyle22

Reaction score
I think they did it cause it was Christmas, or because mom threw in "well iPhones are the next best thing..." before we told them what we wanted.

Either way... it all worked out. Thanks guys! :D

Reaction score
I think they did it cause it was Christmas, or because mom threw in "well iPhones are the next best thing..." before we told them what we wanted.

Either way... it all worked out. Thanks guys! :D

congrats,... lol,.. awesome!

blazer

Reaction score
Here is what happened when I got my Droid... I have "family plan" with 5 phones... 1400 minutes shared. One phone was eligible for upgrade. The Verizon Store used the one upgrade to get me the Droid and applied my Droid to the family plan... Instead of paying full price for a new line, only costs me $9.99 per month for shared plan, but still had to get the $30.00 Data Plan. So, I think i made out pretty good.

Blazer
:motdroidhoriz: