1. You want that $100.00 in your pocket or an Amazon Fire TV don't you? Well here's the deal. With our new updated look we are in desperate need of an updated logo. The 'old' one has certainly served us well, but it's time. Find all the details here: bit.ly/1q0k6Wa
  2. DroidForums.net is currently undergoing a major software upgrade. If you are experiencing any problems logging in please: Contact Us

Big Upgrading Dilemma

Discussion in 'Android General Discussions' started by SniperKing97, Jan 8, 2011.

  1. SniperKing97
    Offline

    SniperKing97 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Hi there!
    So I'm really caught in a bind here...
    Right now I have an EnV3 with just txt/calling and I really want to delve into the Android awesomeness.
    However, I've been reading up on every tidbit of info on CES and I was originally planning on waiting for the Thunderbolt/Bionic. As of right now, it looks like these phones won't be out for a good 3-4 months (even 2 months is a long time since I'm already so drawn in to getting one).

    So my dilemma basically is:

    A) Make use of Verizon's Smartphones Talk Free to get $240 credit, buy a Droid X (maybe DInc) with my Promo Price Upgrade now (NE2 discount since it's been about 26 months?) and keep it until later this year where I can transfer (I Believe...) an upgrade from another family line.

    B)Wait for the ThunderBolt and maybe use that family line upgrade next year or something if option A is not a logical choice.

    There are several factors that might make me want to wait it out:
    1)I don't know if I get a DX now, I can transfer an upgrade and use it so close to a purchase now.
    2)If I get the DX, can I sell it once I buy just say the Bionic in April or will this incur lots of charges?
    3) No one can answer this now but if I try to get the Bionic I might need to change data plans to 4g... thus ruining my Talk Free Credit.

    I know it's a wall of text but I'm really on the fence, and I don't I can wait if it's option A will rack up lots of charges for activation, termination, etc.
    Thanks so much for any help!
  2. hoppermi
    Offline

    hoppermi New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    837
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Yes you can use another family plan upgrade anytime you want.
    I'm not sure what it costs to activate a new phone but it is probably nominal. ($40?)
    There is no penalty for selling your phone if you get a new one, just canceling your contract.
    If you plan on changing phones often, sign up for 1 year contracts only. It'll cost more for the phone, $70 I believe, but you will get quicker upgrades.

    Hope this helps with some of your questions.
  3. SniperKing97
    Offline

    SniperKing97 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Okay thanks a lot!
    In the future I may switch to 1 yr contracts but for right now I'm fine with two as I can pretty much take my mom's upgrade since she is fine with her phone now.
    That nominal activation fee will not be a problem for me then, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "cancelling your contract".
    What's vague to me is the period where I switch from the Droid X to the Bionic. I see that I'll need to pay for the Bionic activation, but to do the switch do I need to DEactivate my DX, therefore incurring an Early Termination Fee, which would be $350??
  4. hoppermi
    Offline

    hoppermi New Member

    Joined:
    Aug 10, 2010
    Messages:
    837
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Switching phones will just incur the activation fee. Canceling your contract would be dropping a line, or leaving Verizon entirely.
  5. SniperKing97
    Offline

    SniperKing97 New Member

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2011
    Messages:
    11
    Likes Received:
    0
    Trophy Points:
    0
    Awesome. It looks like I'll be joining the Android world very soon!
    Thanks again for the clarification.