A couple of questions

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Hi! I have a D2G; have had it since December last so I'm not a total noobie.

Is this phone obsolete already? I guess I'll have to go over to phonescoop to see how far it's.sank in popularity.

Am I the only person whose Droid isn't "rooted"? What is the reasoning behind doing this? How much damage can an inexperienced user do to his/her phone because everyone is doing it?

Is there something that I can do (that doesn't involve being rooted :) to have a good video viewing experience? I have yet to have a streaming video stream smoothly. It doesn't matter if it's youtube, hulu, megavideo, you name it. It also doesn't matter if it's the stock player or a downloaded player. Such a nice screen this phone has yet only Angry Birds Rio gives an idea of how well a movie would play.

Thanks for your time if you reply.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

mugz91

Reaction score
Have you tried converting your own dvds onto your phone? I know this won't help with something like youtube but a good decrypter/decoder software set can put some good shows onto your sd card. Of course, I don't know squat about your phone, but it is working for me on my x so far (3 movies added so far).

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

mugz91

Reaction score
By the way, I am not rooted either. Too afraid I will brick my phone for what seems to be not enough benefits. Might do it later on down the road when my warranty is expired or I can afford another phone if I mess this one up.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Have you tried converting your own dvds onto your phone? I know this won't help with something like youtube but a good decrypter/decoder software set can put some good shows onto your sd card. Of course, I don't know squat about your phone, but it is working for me on my x so far (3 movies added so far).

Oh my, I was wary of using decrypt/decode software on my desktop, I didn't even know they made it for smartphones. But wouldn't 2 or 3 movies practically fill up your SD card? I know a stored video would play flawlessly, but I'd settle for watching a 30 second clip on You Tube.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
By the way, I am not rooted either. Too afraid I will brick my phone for what seems to be not enough benefits. Might do it later on down the road when my warranty is expired or I can afford another phone if I mess this one up.

I agree with you about the benefits of rooting alto you don't see as many" I bricked my phone...help!" msgs as you used to.

LifeIsABeach

Reaction score

Oh my, I was wary of using decrypt/decode software on my desktop, I didn't even know they made it for smartphones. But wouldn't 2 or 3 movies practically fill up your SD card? I know a stored video would play flawlessly, but I'd settle for watching a 30 second clip on You Tube.

YouTube should play okay on the Droid2. Do you have a good 3G signal? What happens if you try it over Wifi?

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score

YouTube should play okay on the Droid2. Do you have a good 3G signal? What happens if you try it over Wifi?

Hi. I do have a good 3G signal and most times I have 3 bars. But where surfing the net and even loading images is fast, watching the load bar on You Tube, for instance, it'll load 3-5 seconds, play that, stop, load more video for a long time while I watch that endless little circle. It gets to a point of where it'll play again, rapidly, but stop because there's no new load. By this time I'm so frustrated that I just close the video. This happens ALL the time. I'm glad I didn't get this device for it's video watching properties, but it would sure be nice to be able to.

MikePDaTruth

Reaction score
OP:

1.) Your phone is not obsolete yet. The Gingerbread update for the Droid 2 was just leaked...not sure if the Global was included with that, though

2.) I am not rooted either. Can't risk bricking my phone...

3.) You might have poor 3G data coverage in the area(s) in which you're trying to stream. Try finding a WiFi connection to stream over instead.

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
OP:

1.) Your phone is not obsolete yet. The Gingerbread update for the Droid 2 was just leaked...not sure if the Global was included with that, though

If the D2G is included in the Gingerbread update will all who want it have to do it themselves? I attempted to flash the ROM, or whatever the appropriate term, on a desktop once. It didn't work out too well and I've been leery of trying it on anything else ever since.

2.) I am not rooted either. Can't risk bricking my phone...

Thank you.

3.) You might have poor 3G data coverage in the area(s) in which you're trying to stream. Try finding a WiFi connection to stream over instead.

Well, I haven't tried streaming with this device where I ordinarily live so I'll have to hold off for a little longer.

djmwilliams1

Reaction score
I had the same problem with my Droid 1 not streaming smoothly. This work for my phone: turn off all running services you don't need in the background as in Facebook, Twitter, any auto updating stuff. Turn off your maps, gps, any news services. Anything thats putting a strain on your CPU. Also there is a dvd copier called RIPIT I use on my Mac, I think there is a pc version also, ripit will not only copy "any" dvd (from blockbuster, redbox, or any copy guarded or unguarded dvd) it will also compress the video down to a nice mp4 dvd quality video you can drag and drop into your phones video file. It took Avatar, which I think was an 8.5 gig movie down to a 2.1 gig mp4 format. My Droid played it perfectly. I had Avatar, Star Trek, Alien v predator, and Ip man (great martial arts movie) all loaded on my Droid at the same time with lots of room to spare on my memory card.
I now have the Thunderbolt, but still use my Droid.
hope my post helps.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

OP
cutiedroid

cutiedroid

Reaction score
Thanks for your generous reply. I'm currently hospitalized with just a netbook, but when I get home I'm definitely trying this.