4. 4

Pinzgauer

Reaction score
Hallo,
Since I grabbed the "official" update file they pulled back and am now on 4.4.
No issues so far. It's not a huge difference from JB. As a matter of fact once the update finished and I looked at my phone I thought the update didn't take. No change in icons, graphics or UI. Not at all like going from IC to JB.

Others my feel differently, that's just my experience.
Thanks

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I agree that there is very little "apparent" differences. There are however supposedly enhancements to performance but I believe it was mostly to bring the OS in line with the Tablets so that Developers could write apps with less fragmentation needing to be addressed. That's my take on it, but I'm sure others can add valuable perspective.

As for the version that was pulled, it's now being pushed again, same version, no apparent changes to the OS itself. I am aware of this because a second MAXX which I have and which I didn't do the side-load upgrade on, just completed an OTA download of the upgrade to KitKat by itself last night. I ran the upgrade and it booted completely functional afterwards, updating all installed apps in the process.

t appears that the only changes may be to the Recovery process which allowed flashing. It is my understanding that the Jelly Bean Recovery is incompatible with the flashing process required for KitKat, so there was also a KitKat Recovery update in the original version (and also in the "pulled" version), however there was some form of incompatibility or inconsistency with the replacement Recovery that caused many phones to brick while doing the upgrade. It is expected that they've nailed down what happened on that first round of pushes and it's been resolved now (hopefully), and that all OTA upgrades will now go off without a hitch.

I for one downloaded and side-loaded the update and it went off without a hitch, but it's very strange in the way it goes down, because you actually have to flash it twice. The first flash appears to fail, says it's incompatible, but what's really happened is it has replaced the Recovery from Jelly Bean with the one for KitKat. When you flash the second time it completes successfully - or at least it does/did with everyone I am aware of that dared to try it, including me.

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
The biggest difference between jb and kk that I've found is only apparent if you enable developer options menu..(tap the build date section in about phone several times) and you have the option between delvik cache and ART(android run time) which some say is faster as far as app lag..I personally don't notice much of a difference on my device.

quizzard

Reaction score
I'll add another, that 4.4, as of today, cannot be rooted unless you do some extra steps while in 4.2. If you jump the gun and update to 4.4 before using slapmymoto on 4.2, you're gonna be stuck w/o root for a while, which is the boat I'm in right now.

OP
P

Pinzgauer

Reaction score
Since my initial post many apps have updated. In that process the icons and apps are changing to new graphics and interfaces.

So in time the UI is slowly changing.