Any Verizon user with rooted phone upgraded to Kitkat 4.4 OTA?

New Daddy

Reaction score
I keep getting a notice on my Droid 4 for OTA upgrade. It doesn't say it's for Android 4.4, but last time a similar message popped up, it was upgrade to JB.

Has anyone with rooted phone upgraded? Were you able to keep the root? Is the upgrade worth it?
(Last time I upgraded from ICS to JB, I lost root and it took me a long, long time before I found a root util that worked. Unless I have assurance that rooting will be easy in 4.4, I might as well just keep JB.)

tcrews

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
android.snkbitten.com
It's not KitKat, it's still 4.1.2, just some bug fixes/patches.

I was rooted and got the SOAK update and it installed but removed root. I re-rooted using razr_blade method with Smart Actions Battery Saver setting (after clearing data from Smart Actions and force closing it).

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
It's not KitKat, it's still 4.1.2, just some bug fixes/patches.

I was rooted and got the SOAK update and it installed but removed root. I re-rooted using razr_blade method with Smart Actions Battery Saver setting (after clearing data from Smart Actions and force closing it).

If it's not even KitKat, even less reason for me to upgrade. Do you know what the bug fixes and patches are about?

OP
N

New Daddy

Reaction score
When I upgraded from ICS to JB OTA, I neglected to run a utility that will keep your phone rooted.
This time, if I decided to go ahead with this update, I'll run the utility.
But, does anybody know if the same utility that let you keep root while upgrading from ICS to JB will also work when you execute this upgrade?

Marlow

Reaction score
I upgraded the OTA. Now, I tend to unroot before doing so, then just ran razr_blade afterwards to root it again.

All working perfectly.

I had a major grief with the original JB OTA, as there was a ton of bugs. Will be interesting, how much of that they've sorted out.

/M