4.0.4 to jb... wont update!

Twiztidx

Reaction score
so when i got my D4 about a year ago i went and rooted it (being a phone gamer) for cpu tuning... and not much more tbh ^^ .
so heres my problem, everything worked good until a few weeks ago i went and wiped my phone (not a complete root wipe) because its been getting slow on me.
GTA5 ifruit just came out today and while trying to download it i get a (not compatible) issue. -.-
while updating my software (which is and was) on 4.0.4, everything downloaded and started installing on reboot.
at about 25% complete the red triangle appears and boots up, then throwing me a update failed notification.

i tried a few times, thinking maybe i had a bad data stream and or corrupt files. but that was not the case.
after installing a few apps to temp delete root, and finally just saying screw it and unroot'd my phone, still had no luck.

so im a bit stumped on this, i haven't gotten that involved in rooting and what not with my phone which is why im asking for any tips on what may be causing this issue.
if you may be able to enlighten me id really appreciate it.

system version 6.16.217.XT894
android version 4.0.4
kernel version 3.0.8

if there's any other info you need id be more than happy to share.
thanks for any help,

Bill

GigaJake

Reaction score
Upgrading can sometimes be a pain. Truthfully the easiest method would be fastbooting straight to Jellybean and then performing a system wipe to ensure compatibility.

You'll want to grab RSD Lite, the latest motorola usb drivers, and the February Jellybean SBF file. And i'm sure there are plenty of guides on how to fastboot if you're unsure

Sent from my XT894 using Tapatalk

OP
T

Twiztidx

Reaction score
Upgrading can sometimes be a pain. Truthfully the easiest method would be fastbooting straight to Jellybean and then performing a system wipe to ensure compatibility.

You'll want to grab RSD Lite, the latest motorola usb drivers, and the February Jellybean SBF file. And i'm sure there are plenty of guides on how to fastboot if you're unsure

Thanks for the quick reply. i read up on fast booting a little, ill give that a shot tonight. or at least study it up some more lol.
ill update after i try it out.

thanks,
Bill

OP
T

Twiztidx

Reaction score
what i may believe my problem *might* be is that i may... or may not have deleted some of the system games that come preloaded onto the phone.
in which case i would need to SBF(which is now called fastbooting?) my d4.
hopefully with doing that maybe it will let me download OTA. >.>

hmmm i hope im not seriously overthingking all of this. this has had my brain all scrambled today. im kind of weary on fastbooting JB, seems like something can go wrong easy.

GigaJake

Reaction score
I always interchange sbf and fastboot, but yeah. You're right. Deleting system apps can cause your phone to fail an update and is why fastbooting can be a solution.

You could fastboot your current version to make your phone OTA compatible or you could simply fastboot the Jellybean firmware and skip the OTA all together